Server Maintenance This Week. ×

unnecessary log in screen on run time database

This topic is 7255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

First thing is I am a producer, not a programmer, so my question will not be couched in technical terms. But I have an issue concerning a runtime FM database distributed on a CD ROM, and don't feel my programmers' explanation adequately explains it. This is a Membership Directory produced for a client who distributes it to their members. The first time someone inserts the disc into a PC (they said also Mac but may be mistaken) they see a log-in screen before they open the program. All they have to do is hit cancel to proceed, but there is no reason for this screen to be there and we would like to remove it. My programmer says inserting the disc is automatically creating a key in the windows registry which is producing this result, and that he has no control over it. It only happens the first time someone inserts the disc. Can anyone confirm this explanation and help me understand why is happens, or provide an alternate explanation as to what is happening and how we can fix it. I need to give the client some answers, and am a bit baffled by the whole thing.

Thanks for your help.

Lee

I am going to take a guess at what is happening, but I am with OAM. We need more info.

My guess is that when the CD is inserted, there is an autorun that is executing the runtime. The password is a file level password that can be bypassed but there might be access privledges based on the password that is entered.

If you want to get rid of this, then you will have to open the file with a copy of FileMaker, hope the developer didn't permanently prevent modification, and have the master password.

This is all just speculation since I don't know exactly what the setup is or the nature of the login dialog.

Ken

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem. I don't want to have the person using my database to have to login everytime. I have the program locked for trial mode with EXEShield. If I just leave the program with Admin full access it will ask me for a user name every time the database is run. If I turn off Admin priv. the database will first ask for a user name and then ask for either a username/password or they can click on guest user. This happens every time. I am not running from CD or over a network.

How do you setup a FMD7 database to not ask for a password on startup?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks, good thing I just made a backup, because it locked me out of everything with the way I had guest priv. setup.

When i make a runtime and protect it with EXEShield, Filemaker wants a user name everytime. This happens even when I unlock the program with EXEShield. The user name is always the computer user name since I tried it on my wifes computer and it automatically fills in her name. All you have to do is hit enter, but it is kinda annoying. I was hoping to get rid of that as well, but there must be something that FM is looking for.

Thanks for your help.

This topic is 7255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.