Server Maintenance This Week. ×

creating the type ahead technique on a value list

oilman

This topic is 7367 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You can type ahead in any popup menu. The trick is to type fast enough to get past two or three characters. I think you will find it easier to type two letters and then us the up and down keys to zero in by moving further up and down the list.

HTH

Lee

smile.gif

Quick-and-dirty 2-db sample attached -- two instances of the same field, using different value lists to demonstrate.

In real life, our situation is as follows. Database of Academics who can belong to any number of several different categories (e.g. Supervisor, Examiner, Coordinator), indicated by checkboxes. Different fields in the main database require a pop-up list of only those Academics who fit the relevant category. There are far too many Academics to scroll through, so the loss of type-ahead functionality is a problem. At the moment we have reverted to using the VL of all Academics.

Any thoughts as to why type-ahead is lost here?

cheers,

Wendy

VLtypeahead.zip

• 2 weeks later...

1st list is based on VL -from Field ...so it works

the 2nd is based on VL from Relationship (btw: based on wrong datatypes of fields)

u really are entering only "SuperID+SuperName" so why would u even need the 2nd list? what is use of it in relation to the 1st list...NONE!

If ur trying to make "related value lists" = On Selection of SuperID pull the SuperName along with Categories he/she belongs to....then it is different topic!

HTH

All the best!

Leb i Sol said:

the 2nd is based on VL from Relationship (btw: based on wrong datatypes of fields)

what do you mean by "based on wrong datatypes"?

Leb i Sol said:

u really are entering only "SuperID+SuperName" so why would u even need the 2nd list? what is use of it in relation to the 1st list...NONE!

If ur trying to make "related value lists" = On Selection of SuperID pull the SuperName along with Categories he/she belongs to....then it is different topic!

it's not a related VL in the traditional sense, we're trying to do it from a different approach. One field requires a VL of only those records that have "supervisor" checked, for example, another field requires a VL of only those records with "examiner" checked.

any input is always appreciated!

cheers,

wendy

data types - related a text field to a number-

but it could have been my tired eyes smile.gif

I know it is hard to give up on idea and especially the one that almost works smile.gif but I think u would have easier time by "trully" relating files and then pulling them into VLs. The only other thing that comes to my mind would be scripting and sorting the file (the whole list) and then buidling the list of that sorted file.

frown.gif sorry this is all I can contribute...

Good Luck!

This topic is 7367 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.