Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Open URL step is truncating the URL

This topic is 7349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an Open URL(field value) script step that works fine on OS X and Windows 98. But on a client's WinNT machine, the URL always truncates at 254 characters. (Yes, it's that long -- often 1000 characters or more -- it's sending CDML commands and data to a web-hosted FileMaker database.)

I can copy the URL from the field and paste it into IE. This works fine. But FileMaker can't seem to send the complete URL to IE on its own.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Additional info: this client has various security layers in place that I don't know enough about to explain. Could this be the problem? If so, what should I look for?

I know we all want to talk about FileMaker 7 today, but I sure would appreciate some ideas.

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi Fitch!

One of the new issues for users and problems for web desingers is "Pop-up stoppers/blockers"....some "pop-up block software" alters the way IE interprets URLs (blocked on not). eg. panicware.com claims that "while holding shift or ctrl key +click the link" and you should be the case....well it is not and depends on what type/level OF javascript is used on page. Open URL is treated as "Pop-up"

Look for resudues of it or make sure users does not have "this" software running as a service and not knwoing about it.

Then I would consider router/firewall configuration (blocked domains, string lenghts etc) issue.....

more on IE:

"Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 208427 "

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q208/4/27.asp&NoWebContent=1

HTH

Take care!

This topic is 7349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.