Sign in to follow this  
fchieli

can anybody repair damaged files?

We have a couple of FilemakerPro files shared on an Appleshare IP volumes. One of the computers accessing the files crashed.

One file got damages and trying to open it generates a "the file is damaged and cannott be opened.Use the recover command to recover this file".

Using the Recover command (on a copy of the file) seems to work fine , I get the usual xxx kbytes were recovered , 0 fileds were skipped etc. , but it generates a file that doesn't open and gives me this message:

"The access privileges in this file have been damaged or possibly tampered with.

Please contact Filemaker Technical Support if the problem cannot be resolved."

The file version is Filemaker Pro 4 and was open using OS9

Can anybody attempt (for money) to repair the file for us?

Hmm... it's probably the DATA that's most important to you, right? I hope someone helps you out with a complete recovery, but if not, you might try to salvage the data by opening it up using other software products. I just tried opening a FM db in Excel and was surprised to see that it has some kind of FileMaker Wizard... of course, mine crashed before opening the file, but the fact there's a FileMaker Wizard may be hope for you. I also opened a db up in BBEdit and managed to see some of the raw data. It may be possible to zap all gremlins and maybe write something to filter everything except alphanumeric characters and spaces. Even then, unless you can identify the delimiters beforehand (field separators, record separators) it's a big job trying to make it sensical again. Of course, I wouldn't even attempt this unless there were no other options, but sometimes critical data recovery is, well, critical.

Maybe someone else can offer better alternatives or refine my suggestion if not give you a golden fleece answer.

--ST

Hello fchieli!

My suggestions will go in hand with Steve's....

Have u tried doing Access/FM/Excell <---ODBC----< Bad FM.fp4 to pull the data?

how about trying to use newer version of FM and do a conversion.....

if (the DATA) is not that confidential u can post it here....

I am FAR ( really far laugh.gif ) from being an expert in FM but I have gotten so much help from the gang here that I would gladly attempt it for free...

5 people working on the same problem is better than 1 wink.gif

Take care!

lebisol2(AT)hotmail.com

FileMaker's Knowledgebase has an article on this

http://www.filemaker.com/ti/101692.html Damaged Access Privileges, Can't Open File

The NY FileMaker Developer's Group has additional info here

http://masdevelopment.com:3455/1/57 Damaged Files and Hidden Corruption in FileMaker Pro

FileMaker now offers a file recovery service, to restore both data and structure

http://www.filemaker.com/support/technical_support.html File Recovery Service

It sounds like you have file sharing (as in system level file sharing) turned ON on the host computer. This is the most common way for this kind of damage to occur. The host computer must have fiie sharing turned OFF.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Norbert Wells
      This may be a really amateur question... but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do a find on a text field for records that "begin with" or "start with" a specific text string whether it be part of the first word or the entire first word. I am using FM Pro 4.0 and wonder why FileMaker Inc. didn't include a way to quickly and easily perform this seemingly simple task.
      Any thoughts? (I have already searched FileMakers Tech Info Library to no avail.)
    • By Sharky K
      hi everyone,
      I have a dutch mac news site: http://mactag.cjb.net/ running on FileMaker Pro.
      My question is: can I make with Filemaker Pro a kind of message board so people can post comments on news posts?

An other question is: Is it possible to make a search so that you must type in both search fields? (it is maby a little bit odd but i want to make that you get a kind of login/password and when you type them right you will find your own records.)
      ------------------
      kind regards
      Sharky K.
      [This message has been edited by Sharky K (edited June 18, 2000).]
    • By jmichea
      Not sure if this qualifies as a basic question or not but here goes...
      I am looking to do a find for an item that may appear in several different fields across multiple records. For example, I have a record with one section that contains 10 fields listing parts. I want to do a find that will find the name of the part in any or all of those 10 fields. Not sure how to do this.
      Thanks
      Jeff
    • By donwolf93
      A user was using FileMaker 3 (we use 3 and 4) on our network and tried to print and crashed so he restarted the machine. Now when I try to access the file, I get the message: "That file has been damaged or possibly had its access priviledges tampered with"
      I've tried opening it from 3 and from 4, and copying the file, and recovering the file. (Recover performs steps one and two and then reports that it cannot find the file in question)
      Any idea on how to recover this file?
      email appreciated donwolf93@hotmail.com
    • By Stan
      The username says it all...rookie.
      Working in FM4Pro, developing on a Mac and porting to PC.
      I'm trying to do a simple sign-in roster, where users enter their user ID, hit OK and are logged in, date/time stamped, and set active (an entry in Timein field). Users are stored in the employee database. New users will set up a new record (userid, firstname, lastname, and orgid) in the employee database as part of the log in. When they log out, all users just enter user ID and the program pats 'em on the bottom, says goodbye, and calculates the amount of time on. Simple.
      Except when I ported it from the Mac to the PC, it began to fall apart. F'rinstance:
      --The login screen wouldn't zoom to 75% on startup, even though the script is identical to what worked on the Mac.
      --Part way through a trial run of current users, it wouldn't log out, but kept logging them in, or vice versa (out, but not in)
      --New users weren't led to the data entry screen when they weren't found in the employee database.
      I think it's a procedural issue, but I can't put my finger on the problem.
      Printing out the scripts to check the Find parameter(s) is tedious (is there a better way?).
      The Find parameters have changed without my help, apparently on a Paste Date function. Should that happen?
      Comments invited; Thanks!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.