Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to create a Report

M.A

This topic is 7261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I want to create a report layout, which can display, the number of all active cases for each individual in the database, in a single layout. I either want to do it with a click of a button or when I open this layout. There are several individuals that are assigned a case and the status of a case is either active or closed. I dont have a clue as to how to start doing that.

Thanks.

Perform a manual find for all active records. Then create a script (or add to an existing script) with Perform Find [Restore]. You can call this script on open, attach it to a button, or call it from another script.

Well, this way I am only able to get the active records of one individual at a time. But I want a count of all the active records for all individuals on the same layout, like a report.

Hi Queue,

Why not suggest the Table View?

I have found that when you switch view that was created as a Form to view as a List, it can really look ugly. However, if you change it to a Table View, it looks a lot better.

Than too, why not just create a new layout using the choice of Columnar List/ Report option.

Lee

bounce.gif

Hi Lee. I guess I'm not very fond of table view unless you want just want a spreadsheet appearance for a list. I think it's very limited compared to form or list view. But it depends on what M.A. really wants to see. And I'm not even certain I interpreted his question correctly.

Changing it to a List view is displaying all the found records. But what I wanted is a summary report. For example:

...........Active....Closed

User1....20 ...... 10

User2....15 ...... 20

Then you need some calculations:

fActive: Status = "Active"

fClosed: Status = "Closed"

cActive: Sum( rel::fActive )

cClosed: Sum( rel::fActive )

You haven't specified whether these are two separate files. If they are, use a relationship from User in the first file to User in the second. If not, then then use a self-relationship from User to User in the file.

Queue, Could you give some details as to what "fActive: Status = "Active" and the others mean and Are you telling me to create Calculation fields fActive, fClosed, cActive, cClosed? As you can see from my questions, I am still learning......

Everything is in a single file.

Yes, they are field names. fActive is a 'flag' with a calculation equal to Status = "Active". This is a boolean calculation that results in 1 or 0, depending if it's true or false.

Create a field that is a constant calculation (or auto-enter calc) of 1. Then create a self-relationship from this field to itself. Use this relationship in place of 'rel' in the Sum calculations.

An alternative might be to use summary fields instead of the Sum calculations. It depends on whether you want to include all records in the file or only the currently found set. The Sum calcs will include all records in the file.

Ok, now its making sense to me, I am able to follow you. I am going to do what you just explained and see how far I suceed...... I wanted to include only those records found active and closed for user 1 and then user 2 etc.

I dont know what or where I am doing wrong. I did just what you told me, but its just displaying 1 and 0 in fActive and fClosed fields, repectively...... Can you tell me the logic behind the setup of this report so that I may trace the problem.

Thanks.

As I said before, the 'f' fields are boolean calculations. They should only be zero (false) or 1 (true). This type of flag allows you to use them to sum all the zeroes and ones to achieve your desired counts.

This topic is 7261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.