Get the Omit State

This topic is 7257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am curious, why do want to know this and what would you do with that information?

I try to provide users with scripted finds so that they do not get into the find mode.

I have set of files in an earlier version that recorded the find and saved it for future use. Would that help you?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Users come up with many more finds than I could ever possibly script for them. So I'm developing a way for them to save their own finds and recall them later. Basically, the user sets up the find he or she wants and executes it. Then my SaveFind script does a 'Modify Last Find', and then loops through the fields, layouts, and requests, recording what the user had set up as their find request in a seperate table.

To recall this find, another script (that I haven't gotten to yet) will go into find mode, plug in the saved find criteria, and execute the find.

I've gotten it to save all of the find critera, except for the Omit. If the user's find request is specifying 'Omit', how do I know?

If you can send along anything you have that works like this, I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Ralph,

I think you were going about it a bit differently, though I still need to tear yours apart a bit more.

Still, does anyone know the answer to the original question -- how do you know the Omit status of a request?

Dan

OK, just a blatant attempt to get my question back up to the top of the list during the part of the day when the site has more traffic.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this, or am I just out of luck? Not being able to do this will pretty seriously limit a really cool process I'm trying to develop.

Thanks,

Dan

The only thing I can think of would be to hide the status area and put your own 'omit' checkbox on the layout. I'm not sure how you would do this for multiple requests, unless each request is one record in a related file. crazy.gif

I don't think you can get this as a status. As Queue says, you can create your own omit checkbox and script the whole Find process. You can Loop through Requests, just like you do with records, and check whether your custom omit checkbox is checked on particular requests. If it is you Omit Record/Request, otherwise not. I've got a couple example files (good ones from others, simple one for myself) that show this. I've never really used it however; for reasons you're finding out about :-|

Arrgh. Not the news I'd been hoping for.

Well, send me the files, Fenton, and I'll see what I can do. I was hoping to use as much of the native search capacity as possible, but if I have to build it myself, then I'll build it myself. (I have a house like that. Why not a database.)

Thanks for your help guys.

Dan

Thanks Lee,

Once again it looks like Bob has thought of every that will ever occur to me already! I'll tear this apart and see what I can do. I'm frustrated that I'll have to redesign a whole status area (and a bunch of layouts too) for the want of this one function, but what can I do?

Thanks,

Dan

This topic is 7257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.