Server Maintenance This Week. ×

restricting users to "find" only their records

smith

This topic is 7124 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Have a small report card database - students file and report card files. I have kindergarten teachers directed to a specific report card layout based on their log in. They enter in Find mode and select their teacher name from a drop-down menu and "find" their students. How do I restrict that so the kindergarten teachers can only find their students and the primary teachers can only find their students. There are four kindergarten teachers logging in and 10 primary teachers into a database of 400 students. I don't want them to have access to all 400 students, only their own. Any help anyone can give, I'd appreciate it. I am new to FileMaker; and using 6.0.

The real way you do this sort of thing is to take control of the interface and lock the user out performing operations manually using FM's menus. When we develop a solution for client, menus are turned off and the status bar is hidden and locked. All operations, including navigation, are performed by scripts we write connected to buttons the user clicks.

If a find is performed by clicking a button the triggers a script, you can add whatever additional criteria you wish (such as UserID) to the find operation. An even better way to do this is to use a "go to related record) script step to show only the current user's records and then use a find with constrains the found set to narrow the search further. Done correctly, the user won't know that students beyond theirs are even in the file.

-bd

Two basic ways of doing this:

- the fully scripted way where you don't let the users in find mode at all but your scripts do the find for them. That gives you extra control over what records to display

- using 'record level access', where a calculation in the access privileges lets the user only see the record they should.

It would be easier to do this in 7 but basically what you have to do is create a login screen where people login using a global field. Once you have their name in the global field you just script all searches to include the global name as part of the search. Using the Get account name function in 7 makes this much easier though. good luck

This topic is 7124 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.