Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calculation of calculation. Help please

This topic is 7110 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

An example would be the best way to describe what I am trying to do.

Let's say I have a database with 100 records. each record has a classification field. the first ten have A in that field. The next ten B. The next ten C and so on...

All the records also have a calculated field.

I would like to know if in another layout I can have a field that would give me the sum of the calculated field for each of the classifications (A,B,C etc...) so the sum of all the A records, the sum of all the B records ...... so I can sort them by amount. I have managed to create the sum but for each individual group. I need to have them all in one screen.

Any help is much appreciated

When you say you've created the sum, you probably mean with a summary field. You can also summarize information from sets of records using relationships and the Sum() function. If you create a relationship which isolates the records with Classification = "A", you can create a calculated field:

Total (calculation, number) = Summary(Relationship::Amount)

If your (self) relationship matches Classification <--> Classification, the field Total can be placed in a subsummary part by Classification. When you sort by Total(first) then Classification(second), you will get the result you desire (in preview mode).

-bd

yes, it was a summary field, but I had to do a find for each set (A,B,C...)

I thank you for your answer but I am extremely new to this software and although I tried to understand what you said I just couldn't. Would it be possible to have a step by step guide of what I have to do to get the result I am looking for please?

I have been trying to work out the problem logically using your instructions but my knowledge of filemaker isn't extensive enough! for an expert your explanation is simple but for a total beginner is just too complicated. Without detail, step by step instructions this does not help me.

Thanks for your time.

I think what liveoak is saying is to build a relationship with your database...

Create a field (ClassificationToMatch) that would relate to your classification field.

When the fields have a matching value ONLY those matching records will be

visible in the portal that you would have on a layout.

You can then use a summary field to add or to count the qty of "a" in the portal.

Then when you change the match to "b" you will see the summary for

all of "b" in the portal. etc.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Thanks for the try Dan-A

Maybe if we try part by part.

LiveOak wrote:

"If you create a relationship which isolates the records with Classification = "A", "

How do I create that relationship?

then he wrote,

"you can create a calculated field:

Total (calculation, number) = Summary(Relationship::Amount)"

what does each part of this calculation refer to?

and finally:

"If your (self) relationship matches Classification <--> Classification, the field Total can be placed in a subsummary part by Classification."

The second part of that is greek to me.

I think this is too advanced for me right now, I should give up.

Make another file, called Classification, with the first record being A, the second B, etc.; connect the Classification field in this file to the Classification field in the other file. Then in the first table make a summary field for the calculated field. Finally, put that field on the Classification layout. You will then have the totals of each classification displayed.

This topic is 7110 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.