Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What's the going rate?

Reed

This topic is 7101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So I've put together a Lab Information Management System (LIMS) for my own lab. (An analytical service facility) It basically allows for tracking of samples/clients/invoicing and it also controls access to the workstations that run the instrumentation using kiosk mode along with a small C++ app that disallows things like CTRL-ALT-DEL and the like.

Since FM7 allows for better account management, I've added a nice IWP module that allows the ~100 users in my lab to schedule time on the different equipment.

Now another facility wants to set up a similar system and they are interested in having me set it up for them. I'm trying to come up with an idea of what kind of hourly rate one would charge for this service? Would I want to use my system as a template and charge up front for it, or start from scratch from an empty file and bill for the time spent recreating the solution (obviously it would take less time than it took me to create it initially)

Mainly, I'm looking for input on what people typically charge for consulting and development time. I would also be helping them to decide how to host their DB...(hardware selection, backup strategy) and I would train them to use the system.

Thanks for any input,

Dana

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I'm realizing now that selling them the full access password (i.e. source code) would be a bad idea unless I charged them ALOT more money. I think that they want assurances that If I leave the university, take another job in another state etc..... that they will have access to the source at that point, so I guess that could be written up in a license agreement. (I guess I'll have to find out how to draw up one of those..)

For this particular client (At the same institution) I won't be working on this during off hours, since the money they spend will be going into my Lab's budget rather than my pocket, but once their system is in place, I hope to use them as a reference to sell systems to other similar facilities at other institutions. Anything sold outside the U of M would be paid directly to me.

The other reason I wanted them to have full access was so that they could extend the system with ad hoc reports, additional scripts for automation, etc. but I guess a lot of that kind of access could be granted to a non-full access account without compromising the existing code.

Thanks again,

Dana

Dana,

Something you should seriously consider is any legal aspects when operating as a consultant. I strongly recommend you get a copy of Web & Software Development: A Legal Guide (ISBN: 1-4135-0087-1). It is published by Nolo Press and goes for about $45. A little pricey, but well worth the investment as it explains everything in layman terms (copyrights, software licensing, etc.) and has examples of consulting agreements and misc forms.

HTH, Mike

I have no problems giving the client the master password for a customised solution. I mean, what are they going to do with it? Is any of my work genuinely innovative, or insanely secret enough for me to worry about them finding it out and passing it on? No. I'd classify most database solutions as derivative. I mean, how can anybody claim their invoicing system is insanely differnt from any body elses, except perhaps in interface? And if the interface really is innovative... well, you cannot really lock that away can you?

At worst the client will bugger up the database and need to get me back in to fix it. At best they like having ownership and control, and may well pay me to come back to make changes.

It is their software after all.

Copyright is a different issue. I may stipulate that they have full access but cannot sell the solution to anybody else, but they can make as many copies inside their organisation (or perhaps not).

My point about not providing the master password - is exactly the issue of the client going in and mucking the layouts, scripts and calculations - or even deleting all of the records and then expecting you to come and rescue them ("NOW!"). If your client has a person that knows what they are doing, I don't see a problem with that to a certain degree.

We had a client (an IT person no less) that wanted the master password to a system to test the security. The first thing she did was go in and delete all of the records (several thousand) in the system... and then had the audacity to claim the system was not secure.

I sometimes say you can have the master password at any time, but the moment I give it to you, all warranties, express or implied, are void, permanently, and you'll have to pay my regular rate and be subject to my regular service terms and conditions to have me fix any problems that may crop up.

That was my point exactly -

Unless I am being paid to create an application, hand it over to the client and walk away, as part of my fee, they are also paying for the master password.

But, if I am going to provide ANY other service. etc. etc. etc., then I keep the master password.

Most of my solutions have an "admin" password where the client (who has been trained) can make high level system changes, such as logo(s), links, help pages, letter templates, etc., without making field, script or layout changes.

This topic is 7101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.