Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automatic slashes for rookie

This topic is 7013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Robbo,

If your field is defined to be a date type field you are halfway there. Then just right click on the field and you will see a choice called Format Date. From there it's pretty intuitive.

Ted,

Thanks for the response.

What happens when I define the field as "Date" and use the date format choice, is that it expects me to type in "12/03/1999" and when I tab out of the field it will type in "12/03/99".

That's what I want to end up with in the field but I only want to type "120399" I want to have the slashes typed in for me.

Thanks,

R

The field cannot be a date. It will have to be text. Use an auto-enter calculation, with 'do not replace existing value' deselected, of

Left( textfield; 2 ) & "/" & Middle( textfield; 3; 2 ) & "/" & Right( textfield; 2 )

Then create a calculation field with a date result equal to GetAsDate(textfield). Use this field for searches, etc.

If you stack the two fields, formatting the date field to only allow entry in Find Mode and the text field to only allow entry in Browse Mode, you'll get the best of both worlds.

I meant stacking as it putting one field on top of the other. Select a field in Layout Mode and go to Format -> Field Behavior, to set the entry options for Browse and Find modes.

Yes, Slobey, there is. But you would have to define the rules for what is acceptable and add those in a Case calculation. You have to be careful, though, because 122005 could as easily be 12/20/05. Because of this, it's more reliable to allow only one type of entry.

Slobey,

If you are just trying to keep the key strokes to a minimum this suggestion won't help but if you enter 12.20.05 (using decimal points) your hand movement can be confined to the primary keys on the keypad.

Just another thought.

This topic is 7013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.