Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Drag-copying File ...

LaRetta

This topic is 6733 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure where to put this, folks ...

I thought I read somewhere (or was told awhile back) that it isn't good to drag-copy an FM file that is open (while networked LAN or stand-alone). Is this also true for a file being served?

I can not explain when or why it is happening (I know but I just can't tell you); however, I was asked to explain exactly WHY it wasn't a good idea. And I couldn't provide reasons. I am known as a fuss-bucket and overly protective of our files. If this is a bad idea, can someone explain why it's bad so I can pass that information on? And if I'm wrong, this fuss-bucket is willing to lighten up on this point. I like taking risks but NOT with our solution. :wink2:

Update: I recognize the obvious, of course ... that records currently being modified won't be updated in the copy (or only partially complete). But information from this 'copied' file may import/update back into the solution. And this copy will be used off-site. I don't want it used if the design OR the data might be compromised.

LaRetta

Edited by Guest

Lots of reasons. But why do they want to move the files while they are being hosted? Can't get my head around that.

Back to the reasons: here's a really bad one. If someone double-clicks instead of single-clicks the file will be opened (read) through the OS at potentially the same time as FMS is trying to write data back. Result: corruption.

As per FMI Support: file manipulation by outside processes is the #1 cause for corruption in the files (data and/or structure).

Hi Wim,

We are attempting to coordinate several issues now that we're using Server Advanced: 1) Minimum once per week (probably twice per week), I need to download current copy to migrate data (42-table 730MB) into updated design (I've tried designing online but it's too slow and difficult). 2) Owner and Sales Reps access this solution remotely (changing data constantly) even evenings and weekends; sometimes middle of the night. 3) They want it constantly hosted for them; I want to freeze use so I have all current User changes, perform the scripted migration and upload again - which means stopping User access for 3 hours, unserving and uploading new migrated design.

The OS date/timestamp on file does not update after every User data-change (that I can tell). I don't know if the last backup has most current data and regardless, they may be working at that very moment. It was recommended that I drag/copy hosted file, being told by Owner that "I do it all the time." I think he uses it on his laptop for lookup info when in car, etc. Drag/copy doesn't solve our current problem of everyone needing FM simultaneously. But it DID open my eyes to a potential danger of drag/copy while hosted. I was concerned more for our REAL hosted file but this copy's data may find its way back into the solution through an import or synch and I was concerned about its integrity as well.

It's hell having a solution that everyone can't live without for 3 hours in a 24-hour period!! This must be why many network people are night owls. Ideas on proper coordination of a hosted solution (which is still in heavy design phase) is greatly appreciated also. :wink2:

LaRetta

It must be hell... but something needs to be done ASAP because they are taking huge risks with their files. Corruption is just around the corner.

Apart from corruption there is an data risk with having multiple copies of the file floating around the network/laptops. It's very easy to open the wrong set, input a lot of data and later wonder why the data is not in the real set.

If they want the features they need to understand the system will be down for the time it takes to upload the data. They can't have the cake and eat it too...

I've seen this scenario many times when I'm asked to step in and rescue data. The developer wants to please the boss but ends up being blamed when the system goes down and data is lost due to corruption.

In short: don't give in and risk the system and your reputation.

I've made the reasoning VERY clear about no copies of the solution anywhere on the network. That seems to be insufficient. I will see to it that this is locked down (in writing) with copies to all Management (and maybe dropped from helicopter).

This is precisely the wake-up call I needed. Thank you both so much for the help!! :wink2:

L

This topic is 6733 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.