Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Drop-down to populate fields on record

therron36

This topic is 6674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

Could someone give me a script example to do the following:

1. I manually select value from drop-down field (the values of which, are sourced from related table)

2. A button is pressed and script gets data from that same related table, based on my drop-down selection.

3. Data populates a field next to drop-down field on layout.

Sounds easy but its slowly sending me insane!

Thanks in advance

Steven.

This doesn't sound like a script is needed. You could make the other field auto-enter by calculation, with "Do not replace" unchecked. Or a similar Lookup.

You say "gets data from that same related table", but we don't know exacly what the relationship would be, or whether the 2nd field's data would come from the same related record as the choice you made for the 1st; it seems that it would, but it's not explicit, nor is the method to target that same related record (one assumes that this record's data is not related one-to-one already, else why the choice?).

Hi Pooh-Bah. Thanks for replying.

As you may have guessed I'm new to Filemaker.

I'll try and elaborate on my situation:

I have a invoice layout(based on Invoice table) & a fee schedule layout(based on fee schedule table).

My aim with the invoice is to make an historical record, hence no portals.

The invoice layout consists of(among other things) four drop-down fields: Description 1, Description 2, Description 3 & Description 4 on seperate lines. Each one get a value list from the "fee name" field of the fee schedule table.

What I'm trying to do is select a fee name from this list & return the corresponding fee amount from the fee schedule table.

I've had some success by relating invoice::description 1 to fee schedule::fee name and creating an unstored calculation field on the invoice layout with "=fee schedule::fee amount".

My problem now is how do I get Description 2, 3 & 4 to work? I've tried relating all 4 Description fields to fee name but with no luck.

I should also add - there are corresponding calculation fields for each descripion field, such as inc & ex tax, that rely on the fee amount field, so I guess that rules out a repeating field.

Edited by Guest

Hi therron36,

Thanks for your valuable input guys.

My post was meant as a joke on zero, and in no way intended at you. Please accept my apology

My aim with the invoice is to make an historical record, hence no portals.

A portal is usually a window to the line items, and any report would remain in the Invoice.

The invoice layout consists of(among other things) four drop-down fields: Description 1, Description 2, Description 3 & Description 4 on seperate lines. Each one get a value list from the "fee name" field of the fee schedule table.

What I'm trying to do is select a fee name from this list & return the corresponding fee amount from the fee schedule table.

I've had some success by relating invoice::description 1 to fee schedule::fee name and creating an unstored calculation field on the invoice layout with "=fee schedule::fee amount".

My problem now is how do I get Description 2, 3 & 4 to work? I've tried relating all 4 Description fields to fee name but with no luck.

I should also add - there are corresponding calculation fields for each descripion field, such as inc & ex tax, that rely on the fee amount field, so I guess that rules out a repeating field.

You might receive better help, if you posted a copy of your files.

Sorry again for my earlier post.

Lee

Hi Lee

No offence taken.

This program can be more than a little frustrating for a novice, especially when trying to nut out relationships.

Anyway problem has been solved thanks to this post: http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/172058/

Steven.

This topic is 6674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.