clearing records?

This topic is 6658 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

i am having problems with a page on the db. When i click the new purchase order button it should bring up an empty form, but often it doesn't, it already has products in it...i can't figure out why. What i would like to do is clear all the jobs that have been previously created so i can eliminate that from being the problem. But i can't see how to do this..

I am used to working with mysql and being able to empty a table...how would i go about doing something similar in filemaker...

thanks.

RF

RF:

This is just a guess, but it sounds to me like you've got a relational problem due to not using an auto-enter serial number as a parent key. In other words, you're deleting existing jobs, and then when you create a new job, it is getting assigned a job number (or whatever your key field is) that was used by one of the deleted jobs. Thus, you're seeing that old job's line-items. The solution is to only ever use an auto-entered serial number as a parent key in such a setting. Also, when deleting a job, delete the related children (line-items) as well.

HTH

-Stanley

Hi, Frog!

You can attach your file here and we will try to find reason. If you want clear all records in db use Delete All Records script, but for creating new purchase order you dont need to delete all records. I dont know how you constructed your DB, that exactly answer to your question.

hi guys,

thanks very much for your quick replies.

Unfortunatly i have only been working on this for 2 days. Someone else created the whole system and i have never used fm before!! So am in at the deep end!! Therefore can't say why anything was done as it is !!!

How can i check if the number is an auto-number or not. When we click Create New PO it creates a new job number automatically but i don't know if that is what you are after.

As for ensuring it is deleting the rows as well as the job again i wouldn't know where to look.

I will attach the relevent file for you to see. If that helps!

many thanks,

RF

Edited by Guest
file attachement removed as full file zip included in later post

yes, that is this file...

edit: i have deleted all files and it still seems to have the problem. How would i go about deleting all rows as well?? not sure that is the problem but it is worth a try.

Edited by Guest
file attachement removed as full file zip included in later post

---snip---

How can i check if the number is an auto-number or not. When we click Create New PO it creates a new job number automatically but i don't know if that is what you are after.

---snip---

I'm really not sure what you are asking, but lets start with the short answer.

Open up the file Supplier Comparison.fp5 and then go into Define Fields

The first field listed is Job No

It is described as "Indexed" Auto Enter, Serial Number.

Lee

[color:red]Now it is asking for Prouduct and Inventory files

Are there any others that will come into this.

You should just put all of the files into one folder and zip that and then post it.

Lee

ok, i have gone through and created delALL scripts and run them for every page. So there should be no data there!

All help here is really appreciated. Slowly getting my head round how it is working, but still a long wayto go!

thanks

rf

Edited by Guest
remove file as requested by RF

i have deleted all files and it still seems to have the problem. How would i go about deleting all rows as well?? not sure that is the problem but it is worth a try.

This didn't become clearer by looking at the solution.

Tell me what you mean.

What are you trying to delete and why.

What Row? Obviously, all rows are gone in the "No Records" files.

BTW, This is more than a simple set of files. was it developed in house, or was it purchased?

Lee

Hi,

We contracted someone to do it for us a while ago but now they don't wanna know !!

The deleting rows comment was just in response to an earlier suggestion. The main problem is that when we create new purchase order there is often a few products listed in the P.O. alredy! When it should really be blank.

Any ideas?

thanks,

RF

Hi,

We contracted someone to do it for us a while ago but now they don't wanna know !!

Do you mean they have stopped supporting it?

How come they stopped (end of contract, etc.,,)

If they are still supporting, why not have them help you.

--snip-- When it should really be blank.

Are you sure that the users are not duplicating a PO or Invoice?

Can you trace the exist numbers in the new PO to an old PO?

Lee

Not sure, i am new here so don't know the full history! All i know is that despite emails and phone messages they don't wanna get back to us. Now my boss has requested that we get to know it here so we can modify it orselves so that we don't have to rely on other people!!

I can't see how they could create duplicates considering the job number is automatically incremented when they create new job!...unless i have missed something..

This topic is 6658 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.