Export vs Display

This topic is 6548 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

New here... hope I'm in the right place and would appreciate redirection or additional resource/list/forum suggestions. Have a set of 6 files in a relational db (my first) running my biz/life, and have become addicted to fm, but so far have been going it alone and will appreciate any and all help/advice.

Problem is between a master file which displays the correct, recently updated, data from a field in the related file, but exports an older version of the data. The same relationship, based on the same key field, works fine with the other related fields. I have deleted the troublesome field and reassigned relationships several times on the master (S_db), but am leary of fooling with the integrity of the related file (C_db), which I have protected by password to prevent any inadvertent changes to what I consider to be my central data source. There are currently no relationships defined for C_db, though there have been in the past and it is accessed by several other files. I must admit that there has been many versions and permutations of all files, and that I don't really know what I'm doing. Any help appreciated.

If you can "zip" up your file(s) and they're small enough to post them put them up on the board.

As you admit you're not sure what's you're doing here then even the more experienced posters will struggle to understand the problem you describe without the files to refer to.

If you can "zip" up your file(s) and they're small enough to post them put them up on the board.

Specifically:

Number of attachments per Post [color:blue]2 file(s).

Maximum attachment size per post: [color:blue]1.05 MB.

If you have more than two files, put them into a Folder and zip that, and if the File Size is greater than 1.05, try Saving as a Compacted, or a Clone no records.

HTH

Lee

• Newbies

Thanks for the quick responses... much appreciated. I've uploaded the 2 files concerned. The master file, Store_Db, is displaying the correct data (html) for the field "photo Url", but when exporting to tab-delimited, an older version of the data presents itself (most records start with is assigned to Cultivar_Database... I believe I once used the same passsword for Store_Db, but removed it when trying to get things to work, I have uploaded only the records beginning in a. Cultivar Code is the key field.

Thank everyone for Your time.

CULTIVAR.ZIP

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I guess I've solved my own dilema with this one... need to drop back from rank amateur to newbe... I didn't realize there was a pop-up list in the export dialog box which allowed you to add related fields vs the fields (same or similar names/data) already in the master which displayed fine, but exported obselete data from a previous incantation.

Am I in the wrong forum for this level of stupidity?

Anyway... this leads me to another newbe question for which I haven't been able to find asolution.

How do you/can you save field order/field state of a repetitive export when you use the same file for several different tasks thus making the "Last Order" option useless. There is a "Custom Order" option available during the export process... can that Custom Order be saved/labeled?

Please redirect me elsewhere if I'm in the wrong place and amaggravating everyone.

Sincere Thanks

Frank

Hi Frank,

No, you're not in the wrong Forum. It wouldn't matter where you post. And stupidity is a come-and-go thing for everyone (I'm the in-House expert and prime example). :crazy2:

With versions prior to 7, you must store import/export mapping right within the script by performing it manually, then immediately open your script. As you exit, it will ask if you want to KEEP or REPLACE. At this time ONLY, select Replace. Then whenever you run this script, it will use this map. It can be a bit tricky (and I struggled with understanding it myself) which is why FM changed it for us on newer versions. Well ... not because *I* struggled with it but because we all did. :wink2:

LaRetta

• Newbies

Thanks LaRetta, Feel better already. Will give it a try on my next upload.

Next ?... (should I be starting a new topic?)

This may be a bit off topic as it has to do with Pearl, and/or file formats... let me know please.

Importing repeating fields into filemaker uses ascii 29 as a delimiter... How do I get that into, that is to say a keystroke recognized by either a text file (data massage using find and replace) or into the server generated logfile in Pearl ?

Thanks Again everyone for your patience.... Frank

This topic is 6548 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.