Clear a field's Index

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know how to clear a field index once it is created?

This is for an invoicing system that I use. I would like the descriptions to auto fill based on previosly entered values, but the index is already full of many values I would like to get rid of. Is there a way to start fresh?

Yes, you can change Indexing to None in the field Options > Storage. But you must ALSO uncheck the 'Automatically create indexes as needed' or the index will come right back. However, when you turn indexing back on (and exit field definitions), it will index all values in that field's table again. In which case, you wouldn't be able to use it again.

Are you talking about a Value List? Indexes are important. If you need to clear a value list then you need another text field to hold only those values you want displayed (and then base your Value List on the new field instead). But this again points that you might need a category (for conditionally displaying acceptable selections) or a related table to hold the 'proper' values.

If this is being used to hold product descriptions, customer names, addresses (and this value list is based upon data from field), I would probably question your approach rather than attempting to erase the index. Can you explain what this field holds?

LaRetta :wink2:

It holds product descriptions in a line item table.

I did create an additional table specifically for product descriptions but the only way to have it autofill is to use a drop down list. I didn't like how that box appears each time you click the field.

So I was thinking.

If I set the field to validate based on previous values. Giving the user the ability to override the message when they need to create a new description it would work real cleanly.

Basically making it difficult to create unique values and eliminating that annoying drop down box in the field.

Is there a better or more "correct" way to accomplish this?

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.