Server Maintenance This Week. ×

validation not working quite right

VICH

This topic is 6520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

DayOfWeek ( production_date ) ≠ 1 xor production_date > want_date

that is my validation calc. the want date is the day the product needs to arrive. so when setting the dates the production date must be before the want date (production_date > want_date). also the production date can't land on a sunday, ever, because we are not open on sundays (DayOfWeek ( production_date ) ≠ 1 ).

with that background...here is the problem. if you set want date to a date. and then try to set the date to a date after the want date. the message pops up and says no and the user changes it. if they set it to a sunday BEFORE the intended want date the message pops up and they have to change it. but what i don't understand. is if they slip up and set it to a sunday LATER then the want date. wich would trigger both conditions ( xor ) the message does not pop up and it allows the value.

i need to know what i left out...maybe xor isn't the right choice?

that won't work...because then both must be satisfied... i don't want them to be able to set the date to any sunday before or after..and i want them to not be able to set it to any date after weather it be a sunday or not

AND is NOT what will make it work

if you set a condition AND another condition

BOTH MUST BE SATISFIED.

i don't want it to be a sunday....OR...a day later then the date. i changed it to OR and it didn't work right either.

Hi VICH

your validation calc contains two errors, not only the XOR (that must be an AND), but even a > where must be a < ! :)

As IdealData said, the right calc is:

DayOfWeek ( production_date ) ≠ 1 AND production_date [color:red]< want_date

look at the RED !

VICH,

You do realize the xor checks only that either DayOfweek( production_date ) doesnt equal one or production_date < want_date... if both are true then it will validate as false... maybe you're just not seeing it but you are looking for the AND operator...also yes... look at the red as Daniele points out.

~Genx

((DayOfWeek ( production_date ) ≠ 1) or (production_date > want_date)) xor (production_date > want_date)

this has worked for me and i came up with it friday right before i left the office... i knew the reason was that i had the two errors...and the > has to stay cause the validation is for the production date feild..and if Production date is > then the want date then that is not good. this calc may not be the best way to do it... i have tried it the other ways and it didn't work...so i have this and it works... feel free to tell me if there would be an easier way...but it works

thanks

This topic is 6520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.