Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Developer

This topic is 6090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am starting my own FileMaker developement business, after years of doing solutions in house and for friends. As I begin the process of writing my business plan, I'm trying to get an idea of the size of the market, and what barriers to entry those of you who have been making your living as FileMaker developers see for the next up-and-coming developer. I fully intend to make FileMaker development my sole career and leave my current job in printing behind, so any advice or thoughts you might have would be welcome!

Jason Tempestini

Curly Media

Hahahaha, I'm in Australia so you can't hurt me :P.

Welcome to the forums - why do people always ask the broadended questions? (That was a joke get it, the question i asked was broadended in itself... that's funny to me, sigh)

Anyway....

Only having worked with FileMaker for the past year and a half - i have had the fortune of growing up in organisations that desperatley need organisation - rather than being the so called freelance developer - i've opted to develop a commercial product - doing a bit of secondary development on the side. So far it's going great - the interest isn't lacking - and i've got 2 secondary commercial products lined up already - all i lack is the time to develop them.

But then, in terms of barriers to entry, it's not necessarily what you know, it's who you know - and once again i've done my share of FileMaker favours to people as it seems you have - you'd be suprised how many people those people know - contact all the people you've done these favours for - or even small jobs for and ask them if they know of anyone who needs your help.

Finally, word of mouth. It can make you or do absolutley nothing for you. Provide decent service for people - and i can guarrantee you you'll get referrals, ($50 on the side never hurt either :P).

Anyway, i'm just having a little rant as i usually do - just for the sake of ranting - i'm sure someone will contribute something useful to this post - i'm basically just writing to welcome you to the forums.

So WELCOME! ???:( :

~Genx

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Just do it. The key is to get the right client. I got a client that everyone in NYC knows and likes. I drop that name and I get a job from it. I am now working more than 40 hours a week. I found the key is to really try to understand the people and your environment. When people meet you, they are judging you from the stand point of a "computer guy" not a filemaker designer. They may have had a consult do a network and leave them with a huge bill and a server they cant understand and also a website designer may have done work for them and they are expecting the same things. I show people databases with easy to understand interfaces. That is what they want. I also give a no BS style. I give an estimate and sometime I underestimate (most of the time). I still charge the estimated price. It is good business. Event thought New York City is huge, it is very small. I have done database for people and looked at records and found people that I have worked with or was a client. I haven't gotten any referrals yet, but I am still up and coming.

Here's some of the questions you have to answer:

Q1. You're a one man team, what happens if you get hit by a Mac truck?

A1: I belong to the FileMaker Developer Alliance and we all use the same standards, so if you decide not to use my services, or I get hit by a Mac truck - anyone of the FileMaker Develper Alliance can take over.

~~~

Q2: How much will it cost and how long will it take?

A2: HAVE AN ANSWER - give them a number, they MUST have something to work with other than hot air. You may underbid your first contracts, but it's an investment in buildingn your practice.

~~~

Q3: I don't understand all that mumbo jumbo your taling about - I just want to know if you can solve my problems.

A3: My first and most important job it to get to understand how YOUR business works and what you need to accomplish. I won't be asking you to give me all sorts of lists of "fields" "tables" and other items - those are MY problems to figure out?

~~~

Q4: Can you show me some of the work that you do?

A4: Sure - I may not have one that is just like the one you want, but I'll show you an example of how I helped solve someone else's problems. I'd also encourage you to talk to them directly to see how the process went from their experience.

~~~

Q5: We aren't comfortable depending on a small business such as yours - we like the longivity and backing of a huge company even though they may charge us an arm and a leg.

A5: Let me put something together for you - if you find it isn't what you want, then you don't have to buy it. By contract, we usually have to collect 50% of the estimate in advance, but let me talk to my associates and see if we can waive this requirement.

~~~~

What I see in FMP Developers - they over-extend themselves, make promisses they can not keep and often don't get a product completed because they want to add bells and whistles that the uses don't even care about.

Be responsive - voicemails and emails need to be returned the same day, even if you don't have an answer. Deadlines need to be met, so make them realistic - these guys are betting their business on you, they need good info.

Do this and you'll help us all... the more quality developers out there, the more confident that business gets in using us.

Welcome aboard.

Hi Jason,

You have received some good advice. Here is a little more.

The Bay Area should be a treasure trove of prospective client. Start with Family, Friends, Old business contacts, and associates (who you had contact with, or know your work). Also, former competitors of your former employer, are excellent leads.

Most business are looking for a better way to accomplish things that they do, you just need to find their need(s) and see if you can fill it. I know, that is an old cliche, but whom ever came up with it, came up with a basic business survival principal.

There has to be a FileMaker User Group in your area, Join it, and get to know the members. Not only will learn more about FileMaker, and be of help to others, there is often a project that a Developer has been asked to do, and the are either not interested in doing it, or have other things that are of a bigger priority to them, and this project is just a nag to them.

HTH

Lee

• Newbies

Wow.

I have no idea what lit off this stream of responses more than a year after the original post, but I couldn't be more appreciative. At a time when I was seriously slowing my own moves toward my company (I'm too busy at my day job, my life is too much, my new baby will eat up all my time) these notes have me thinking again about my approach.

Thank you all for your input. More specific feedback on elements to come.

Wow.

I have no idea what lit off this stream of responses more than a year after the original post, but I couldn't be more appreciative.

LOL - well you know - we filemaker types are just crazy like that!

At a time when I was seriously slowing my own moves toward my company (I'm too busy at my day job, my life is too much, my new baby will eat up all my time) these notes have me thinking again about my approach.

Thank you all for your input. More specific feedback on elements to come.

And I would add that you look seriously at how much time you really do have. A new baby is a huge deal and depending on your personal situation, you may want to ease into this with smaller projects while keeping your "day" job or find a business partner.

I was very lucky when we started our company 12 years ago that my business partner continued working his "day" job for 2 years while I committed full time plus to the development of the company.

That gave us some stability and fewer money worries had we both just jumped in from scratch.

For every situation there's dozens of potential paths to take.

Good luck though! We're located out in Stockton so if you want to talk more - drop me a PM!

This topic is 6090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.