Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help me understand how this script works...

This topic is 6500 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was looking at the template for resource scheduling in filemaker and there is a function called add project. When you press it it takes you to a different layout where you add

information then press continue. This takes you back

to the original layout and adds all the details in the

field.

Could someone please explain how this works as this

is idealy the function I want to use for my database.

I think I need to understand it in order to create it and would be very greatful for all help I can get.

Frida Lindholm

Hi Frida

I do not have a copy of the file that you refer to but in the absence of any other help are you aware of how to view the scripts that are running after you press the button?

Go into layout mode and right click on the button in question. Go to button setup and a script step will be assigned to that button. If it is a perform script step the click the specify button and it will show you in the window which script is being fired.

You can then go to scriptmaker, highlight the same script and press the print button. You will then get a copy of the script that is being run and you should be able to pick it to pieces from there.

Forgive me if you already know all of this but if not I hope it helps

Regards

Phil

Yes I have had a look, but I am taotally confused as all this is new to me.

Could I send over a clone for you of the file to look at? I need to get the actions explained so I understand what is doing what and why in order to create the same script for my database. The filemaker language is totally foreign to me. If you have the time I would very much apprichate it.

/Frida

Hi frida,

It shouldn't be necessary to send Phil a clone. The file was included as a Template with the Application (FileMaker Pro 7/English Extras/Templates/Business - Projects/Resource Scheduling.fp7).

There are two [color:blue] primary scripts, and at least one secondary script involved.

The first script, attached to [color:red]Add New Project, is named [color:blue]Create New Project. What it does, is to take you to the Layout [color:orange]New Project, and sets the fields that are listed.

The button on [color:orange]New Project, labeled [color:red]Continue has the script [color:blue]Create New Project 2 attached, and it first verifies that you have completed all of the boxes, and if so, returns you to the Original Layout. BTW, the information is now shown in a Portal. and you can delete old or not needed data hitting the [color:red]X in the portal row. That script is [color:blue]Delete Project and it takes you back to the related record in Projects and deletes it.

Phil's point is, by looking at the actual scripts, you can see what the Script is doing.

HTH

Lee

Could you please just explain what the following does in the above filemaker template:

Set field [Resource Schedule; Global ResourceID; Resourse schedule; Resourse ID]

Is this for the portal?

I am trying to adjust it for my own database... Thanks

Frida

This topic is 6500 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.