100% Newbie ?: A portal row w/ new window question

Totes

This topic is 6322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

New question

I have a tab, which displays a portal. In this portal I am displaying data about training.

The Fields are: Date, Course Number, Course Description an Course Hours I have a button to delete that portal row…and all is well.

Now I have been asked if I could add a note section to the portal.

What I would like to do is this:

Add a small button to the end of the portal which will open a new window and have a small text area that the instructor could write any necessary notes about that course (this will be only for the instructors viewing).

I have a new window set to open with such a text area…here is my problem; how do I get the new window to open an be related to a single portal row?

When I enter data into the text field, close it out and then open it via the next portal row it is still showing the data entered from the first portal row.

I have searched the script area and cant seem to find anything that would open the new window and relate it to a single portal row.

Thanks,

James

Edited by Guest

James,

Instead of using just the open new window command, use the Go to Related Record script step. There will be an option for opening a new window. Select the layout that you create for the notes to be entered and the relationship can be the one you use for the portal. Also in your script put in a Hide Status Area and Lock it. This will prevent the user from scrolling to the wrong record.

Make sure that the button in the portal so that each row will ahve its own button for entering the notes

John,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have the following

Commit Records/Request [skip data entry validation; no dialog]

Go to related record [from table; “training_2007”;using layout “Training_Notes” (Training_2007); new window]

Show/Hide status area [lock/hide]

And each portal row is showing its own button to open the "Notes" window.

However when I click on the "Notes" button on the first portal row and the new window opens so that a note could be entered in the text box all is fine.

Now when I go to the next portal row and enter data, I then click the "Notes" button on that row and the "Notes Window" opens...the text I entered is showing in the text box that was entered when the "Notes" window was opened via the first portal row.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.

James

Edited by Guest

I have the following

Commit Records/Request [skip data entry validation; no dialog]

Go to related record [from table; “training_2007”;using layout “Training_Notes” (Training_2007); new window]

Show/Hide status area [lock/hide]

The problem is that when the record is commited, any portal focus is lost. The susequent Go to Related Record[] step then goes to the first related record.

Try moving the Commit Records[] step after the Go to Related Records[] step.

Ender,

After moving the "Commit Records/Request" down a new problem has seemed to surface...I now get an error when I now open the "Notes" window and attempt to add text

"This record cannot be modified in this window it is already being modified in a different window"

If I close the parent window (which opened the "Notes" Window) I can then enter text into the "Notes" Window.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

Edited by Guest

Thanks comment, I always forget about this little "chicken or the egg" issue with GTRR and commiting when there's new windows involved. In my defense, I don't use the new window option. And the Commit Records[] step does work when jumping to an external file, since the focus in the current file doesn't change.

Try the Set Variable script step, e.g.:)

Set Variable [ $currentRow; Value: Get ( PortalRowNumber ) ]

Commit Records/Requests

Go to Portal Row [ $currentRow ] [ No dialog ]

Go to Related Record [ From table: “Child”; Using layout: “Child” (Child) ] [ New window ]

Here's a demo file that uses a script parameter instead of a variable:

http://fmforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attid/6504/

I finally make it work!!!!!

Once again I want to thank you for taking the time with a newbie. I know how hard it is to get a point across to a newbie on a forum.

Hope one day I can do the same for a FM Newbie.

Thanks again

James

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.