Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Basic Query

This topic is 6240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It goes like this.

1) Enter find mode

2) Fill in the field with the value to search for

3) Perform find

4) Sort

5) Watch results in Summary fields

While SQL statements requires you to turn on ODBC sharing and a 3rd party tool ...but the syntax is somewhat crippled to what you might expect.

--sd

• 3 months later...

This looks like what I want to do in a simplified way. I suppose if I could get past step 2 in Søren's instructions my question might be apparent. It could be I'm doing step 1 incorrectly because step 2 isn't an option. I'm entering the find mode by clicking on the Edit menu and dragging down to Find/Replace > Find/Replace. When I do that, there is no way to select a field other than the current field, and there's no way to know what the current field is or select a field. Even if I did do the find, by clicking on the Find Next button, it looks like I'm only going to get one record returned at a time.

What I would like to do is find all the records I want all at once rather than multiple passes, field by field. In Access I would have written a query. I would hope FMP has something at least as easy as Access to do something that simple.

I'm entering the find mode by clicking on the Edit menu and dragging down to Find/Replace > Find/Replace. When I do that, there is no way to select a field other than the current field, and there's no way to know what the current field is or select a field. Even if I did do the find, by clicking on the Find Next button, it looks like I'm only going to get one record returned at a time.

This is not entering Find Mode. Find Mode is done through the View Menu not the Edit menu. It is different from Find & Replace. The shortcut is Ctrl-F on Windows.

This is a great place for me to pose my question...why is it so hard to drill down in your searches? Is there ANYTHING in FM that allows you to query your data with "ease" like in Access, or like in Excel with the "Auto-filter" functionality. From my experience, using the Find function in FM is very cumbersome...but this may be from inexperience.

I would like hear from some of the "experts", what they think about it, and/or how they use it to their advantage.

This topic is 6240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.