Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Script that makes a Outlook task

This topic is 6222 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to make a script that starts an Outlook Task function in Outlook.

I would like to use outlook to assign items for my team to complete. If there is something that anyone knows of that would let FM do this please tell me.

Thank you,

Joseph

Sure there is. The coding for this however needs to be done largely outside of FM using VBscript. Once you have a working VBscript you can then integrate that into your FM solution so that it dynamically generates the correct VBscript syntax and executes it.

You'll find some pointers on how to do the latter in this forum, but feel free to ask.

Main question is: how good are your VBscripting skills? That's where this needs to be done.

2 files on your machine will be a great source. Do a find for:

vbscript*.chm = the VBscript general help file

*vba*.chm = all the MS Office automation help files. One of them will have the OL string in it and that's the outlook help file. It describes the whole Outlook automation model and has a ton of sample code in it. That code is VBA though, not VBscript so you'll have to tweak it a bit.

A good web resource: www.microsoft.com/scripting

On my website you'll find some examples: www.connectingdata.com

Let us know how it goes...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry to hijack someone else's topic, but I'm exceptionally curious.

Okay, I'm pretty good at VBScripting... and even have already created a script to create a task in Outlook. That part's easy.

If I read the first response correctly, FileMaker is capable of generating VBScript and executing it. That's fascinating. How would I go about telling it to do that? I can't find anything very specific in the forums and the help file certainly doesn't... "help" in this regard.

Thanks.

This topic is 6222 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.