Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Validate Not-Empty in Portal Row

hunter

This topic is 6267 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to figure out a way to force users to enter data into a field that's in a portal.

Setting the field to Validation - Not Empty won't work since the field is in a different table than the data-entry layout. I've tried setting up a calc field (in the data-entry layout's table) to populate when data is entered in the portal's field, but there isn't a way to set the Not-Empty validation on the calc field. I tried Auto-Enter, Calculation and Lookup in yet another field, based both on the first calc field, and also the field in the portal. This isn't working for me at all. The Auto-enry field remains empty.

Am I missing something that's really obvious here?

Thanks for any help!

Lesley

Are you talking about forcing the user to enter data into the empty portal row to create a new record? If not, then I am a little confused on what you need this for. The field validation on the child table's field will prompt the user if the field is empty in the child record whether its in a portal or not.

I'm not understanding...

You said that you are creating new record by entering values in the portal...and that the field in the portal is only one...and that the field can't be empty.

If that field is empty, you never create a new record and no other row may appear in the portal !

Yes Danielle, that's correct. It's just a simple portal to pull in one piece of data into records. If they don't enter in that portal field, there will be no related record created to trigger the Not-Empty feature.

I didn't build this database (I'm a developer on staff at a University where many departments also develop their own databases). I am not sure why they need to create related records for this data instead of using a value list...

I thought I'd throw it out to the community to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Yes, my file only requires a child record to EXIST - not to have any actual value. But if you change the validation to:

not IsEmpty ( Child::Value )

I believe it will do both.

but, if you set Child::value to be Not Empty, an error message always comes ( at commit time )

This is the part I don't follow.

I was thinking that he needs a way to validate NOT empty a field placed into a mono-row portal.

If that is correct, the simplest way is to set the "not empty" validation option of that field...and we don't care that that field is into another table or in the same table, the error message comes out in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sending your solution!

It works regardless of whether they need only a specific field to contain data or require that a child record is created. It forces data-entry before moving forward.

Sorry this was so hard to understand! I failed to articulate well.

Hunter

This topic is 6267 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.