Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Global Repeating Container field

This topic is 6188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello:

I'm working on a database that uses a Global Repeating Container field (5 repetitions) to store a graphic with 5 different colors. Questions:

(1) How does one input those 5 graphics initially into the container field?

(2) Is there a way to print out whats in a repeating container field programmatically?

Thanks.

Dom

When working with repeating fields in FileMaker Pro 5, you need to place the field on the layout like you would any other field. Then, select the field and choose Field Format from the Format menu. In the resulting dialog, you will see the option to display repetitions. When you go back to browse mode, you will be able to insert graphics into each reptition independently.

John:

I didn't explain myself well. I'm working with FM 8.5 and I have a global repeating container field and I want to put 5 graphics into this field. On another layout I have all my graphics. How do I get the graphics into the container field initially? I know once they are in the container field I can reference them by putting the field on a layout and then setting the show repetitions to the proper number but how does one get the graphics into the field right from the start? And once the graphics are in the container field is there a way to actually print them out programatically?

Dom

Your question is more along the lines of how do you insert an image into a container field...

You can put an image in a container field by either using "insert picture" or should even be able to paste an image that is in your clipboard.

Global fields are difficult to work with in multi-user mode when it comes to storing information like this.

A single-record preferences table, with a repeating stored container field, would better suit your purposes.

Vaughn:

Yes I agree I think a single preferences record would be ideal but I guess I'm still confused as to "how" to get multiple images into that one record with the repeating container field? You see I have a layout in my database with all the graphics so I can cut and paste them anywhere in the database but how do I get them into the container field.

I create a table called preferences

I create a repeating container field with say 5 repititions.

I create a new record so I have one record in the preferences table.

Now how do I get 5 images into that container? I guess I'm just drawing a huge blank here. I have the images on another layout where I can copy and paste them but I would like to copy them from the clipboard into that container field. Thats where my problem lies.

Dom

Go to the layout with the images.

Enter Layout mode.

Copy one image.

Go to the layout with the container field/s.

Enter Browse mode, and go to the record you want.

Click in the field/repetition you want, and paste.

Repeat as needed.

THANK YOU. I was having a meltdown. One of those weeks. I got it now. After working with 4D for so long and getting back into Filemaker I just wasn't seeing it conceptually.

This topic is 6188 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.