Posting a FileMaker created PDF via HTTP

This topic is 6066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear All

From a FMP9 runtime, I am trying to print/save a pdf to a known location (this bit is easy bit) and then post it via HTTP using FileMaker to a web server.

I know I could do a VB script/Applescript to capture the PDF code from TextEdit/WordPad and then paste it into a FileMaker text field which I could then POST using Troi URL or TCPdirect, but I am looking for something a little more eloquent.

FTP and SMTP methods are not an option as they are too insecure. SFTP is an option but I am not aware of a plug-in which supports it.

Any ideas?

Yes - creating the PDF is the easier bit - it's posting it via http that I am struggling to find a clean eloquent solution. I can post it if the PDF code was in a text field, but not if the PDF itself is in a container field.

Runtimes cannot save as pdf. So, I assume you'll use a third party solution. I was curious which one you chose.

I ship our runtime packaged by an installer, and the use of a third party pdf writer makes the installer too complicated and error-prone. (Commercial app, so I'm not there for the install).

PS: I needed a cross-platform solution, and many were Windows only. Yes, I could probably have used Mac's built-in pdf capability, but I didn't want to diverge the code to be so platform specific. So, no pdf capabilities in our solution. I was keeping my fingers crossed for FM9A. Oh well.

Edited by Guest
Add PS

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I am explaining this right. To create the PDF is not the issue. It is posting it from my runtime solution that is causing me the difficulty.

The PDF is a report. The user will fill in various forms in the runtime (I want the user to have offline ability hence use of runtime) and create a PDF which the runtime will post to a server.

Troi have led me to believe that you cannot post a multiple page PDF from a container field. I understand FileMaker does not store the PDF code within the field (:)) even if the relative checkbox is ticked. Referencing the file from a url doesn't work either as it sends the filename and not the PDF code.

Like I say I could do it with Applescript and VB script but this leaving alot to chance. I would rather do it native in FileMaker or with a cross-platform plug-in as this is less likely to be interupted by firewall / spyware software.

Barbera - your suggestions have been helpful. I too have had difficulty with Intel Mac. Some crash everytime you try to SaveAs PDF - FM are aware of this bug.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 6066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.