disabling windows exit

innodes

This topic is 4932 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to disable the window exit (upper right corner of window frame "X" on windows or the left red button on a mac) function. I would like a clean bar on the top of the window (with text is ok) and force the user to use the buttons that are built into the Filemaker database as opposed to just killing the window.

I've heard but never done this, Can't you Wrap filemaker with a anouther app, or even a vbs script, capture the close event and prevent it. This is a little beyond me, but I swear I came across that somewhere.

thanks all,

LaRetta,

Plugins aren't allowed within our security yet. Good idea, but I'm locked out of this one.

aholtzapfel,

Thanks, I'll look more on this, and hope someone that is familiar with this chimes in. As for vbs, the problem there is I have mac users on the network as well, and I have heard that vbs will not work under mac.

Vaugh,

Sounds interesting, but I am not quite following. Could you please elaborate?

thanks,

mike

Try this -- on a copy of the file: Set a shutdown script to open a new window of the file.

WOW! Kind of neat! if the file is closed it does pop-up a new window, if filemaker is closed... it throws the whole thing into an infinite loop, continually opening windows, then closing them. I don't see a way around the the infinite loop. (could really be useful if there was)

Oh, there is a way around the loop if you think about it. It could be as easy as setting a global variable (or field) and checking the value of the variable (or field) before creating the new window.

• 3 years later...

The answer I had gone with was a method that used a loop to lock the windows. It was working. It has been a few years, and some of the locks seem to now be broken. I don't know why or what changed. So I came back to the forum. The link above does lock a window, but I can't figure out how the "my close" script is tied to the window's close command. Any help is appreciated. I went to the link of the post, but still don't see it.

Did some more digging and found the following post on how to do this in windows. here This is the method I was using, found the breaks and it is locked again. Thanks forum.

I would still like to know how to do the scripted version mentioned above if anyone knows.

This topic is 4932 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.