Beginner - Need insight on code...

firkus

This topic is 5957 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Cliffnotes version of my situation.

I'm a filemaker NOVICE...

Outsourced filemaker application development to external company. In the last couple of days the sole developer for this small company has gone AWOL. The Filemaker server is located in our office and we fear that we may not have access to the code and application that we paid for.

If I install Filemaker Pro Advanced will I be able to view the scripts that he has created? From a user standpoint everything is custom menu driven, so the script toolbar isn't even available. He has sent us a couple of plugins which we have applied on our machines in the past, so what would I need to do to view that custom code too.

I appreciate any insight that can be provided, because we are fearful that we paid all of this money for something that we can not modify. I'm sure I need to provide a lot more information, but I'm not even sure where to start.

It really depends on the permissions you have. If you have the actual database on your server that's good, but to do development work you'll need a user name and password that gives you Full Access.

With your current access can you Enter Layout Mode, Define Databases, and access Scriptmaker? If not, Advanced won't help you, you'll need the developer level account access.

• Newbies

We don't seem to be able to view those areas that you mentioned.

So at this point it looks like we might be in a tough situation. Without the admin user and password I'm thinking we won't have the ability to update our privileges. I know, our fault for not being a little more proactive on the rights to the application. VERY Bad move on our part.

Is the application code/scripting itself stored in the database file?

Since the plug-in code is outside of the database, is there a way to view the code for the customized plugins? Or are we in the same boat from a privilege standpoint?

If you don't have the passwords for Admin, then you need to take a copy of your contract to an attorney and find out what your rights are.

I guessing that the people left at the small company doesn't have any developer notes, or common developer passwords, and names that they can provide you?

HTH

Lee

Before giving up completely, you could try a few things.

With the file open, go to [color:blue]File >> Define >> Accounts and Privileges and see if it will display.

If not, close the file, and then restart it while holding down the shift key. Try typing:

Admin (as the user)

see if it will open.

If not, then try typing:

Admin (as the user)

Admin (as the password)

it this doesn't change anything, then between you and the small company, maybe you can work out a new contract to have them redo the work for FREE.

HTH

Lee

• 1 month later...

something you may want to try...

Does the developer have a local logon to you network? If they do, do they use that external authentication to access the files you speak of. If in fact they do have your network administrator change their windows login password for their account and have them provide you with the new password. Then you could log in as the developer and access the files as the administrator. If you can get this far then you'll have full access to files which would allow you to log in a change the Filemaker administrator password for you file. Or, you can just have the administrator of your network move you into the Admin security group that the solution developer uses. Again this all depends on if they have a logon to windows and they are autenticating externally. good luck.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Outsourced filemaker application development to external company. In the last couple of days the sole developer for this small company has gone AWOL. The Filemaker server is located in our office and we fear that we may not have access to the code and application that we paid for.

Sounds like to me they own them. Outsource doesn't imply ownership by someone else, However, they should check the Contract that they signed to find out who retains the ownership.

Lee

This topic is 5957 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.