Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Running PC software on an Intel IMAC

Jarvis

This topic is 5993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure where to put this question so I will start here.

I have an Intel based IMAC running Tiger OSX.

I bought the machine to evaluate some windows based software for my cabinetshop.

I am planning to toggle between the two platforms with a software called Parallels. I still need to get windows installed to make this happen.

I have been advised to install XP rather than Vista.

When I go to Amazon to buy XP I am offered the Professional Version and the Home version. There is no discussion about differences between the two.

Can anybody recommend what I should use for software to make this transition easy to understand and maintain?

Thanks for any help,

Jarvis

In the past, I have used Virtual PC, which has Windows ability. There is a new program (to me anyway) that is available with Leopard called Bootcamp that seems to be able to run the PC Stuff.

HTH

Lee

Bootcamp is built into Leopard. It basically starts up your Apple computer with Windows (which you have to buy of course, full retail version). It's then a Windows computer. There is no Mac OS running.

But what Jarvis is talking about is running Windows within a virtual machine alongside the Mac OS. This is easily done with Parallels Desktop (PD). Because it does not have to emulate the hardware, it is almost as fast as native. PD has done an incredible job.

You can either drag files between the two environments, pretty much just like dragging a file between any other two windows. But, even better, you can leave your FileMaker files where they are, and open them from Windows, through a kind of sharing that PD sets up. (First make sure they are NOT also open in the Mac FileMaker app!)

PD has a mode called "Coherence" which must be seen to be believed. It allows you to hide the standard Windows desktop, using pretty much your standard Mac desktop. Active Windows apps appear in the Dock! Call me old-fashioned, but I found it a little too surreal. I like to leave the PD window at maximum size, and leave my Mac Dock showing (right side), so I can see my email come in, or switch over when I want to do something.

The other cool feature is that you can "Suspend" Windows, which is a lot like putting it to sleep. Of course it still has to run all the virus software, updates, etc., like any other PC.

PD can use an existing Bootcamp partition as a startup disk also. You would then have the option of either using PD, or booting entirely in Windows (supposedly better for those high-end games). The one drawback with this method is that PD cannot "suspend" if you're using a Bootcamp partition.

Vista is more restrictive than XP. You have to buy the more expensive Business edition to run it within a virtual machine. MS cites "security" concerns, but many experts disagree that is entirely their reason.

As to your question, Home or Professional Windows, I'm afraid I don't really know. If you're just evaluating some software, I'd think Home would be fine.

(P.S. You of course need more RAM to run both OS's at the same time. I'd recommend at least 2 GB.)

Thanks guys!

One more question:

One of the things I've enjoyed about being a Mac guy all these years is that I don't have to be real smart to run them. I've never had to configure a C-drive? or partition anything, light any incense, or throw any chicken bones over my left shoulder to make it all happen. I've never paid any attention to viruses because I've never needed to.

What do I need to do for virus protection if I go online under the dark side? There is one machinery auction website that I want to visit but it will not accept Mac platforms. Will any viruses I might encounter impact life on the Mac side?

Sorry to be so ignorant but life has been pretty blissful in paradise. Anything to watch out for?

Jarvis

Well, if you're going to run Windows, my opinion is that you should probably bite the bullet and use some kind of protection (mixed metaphors of questionable taste :-). Yes, you could just let your Windows partition (in the case of Bootcamp) or your virtual disk (in the case of Parallels Desktop) get hosed, and it likely would, sooner rather than later. You could just dump it, and reinstall everything. But really, it would be no fun. I've heard good things about AVG, who I believe even has a free version.

http://www6.grisoft.com

or download

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10761481.html

which had over 1 million downloads last week. Yikes!

I've already tried Norton Anti-Virus, and am currently running Zone Alarm. Both are fine, I guess. But they eat up just about all your CPU while running scans, which they like to do pretty often. It is a good time to go make coffee/tea/breakfast, something.

I don't use Outlook at all, and I very seldom use Internet Explorer. Because, since I'm also running the Mac OS at the same time, I just use Mail and Safari. That eliminates a lot of threats. But there are more than a lot.

You don't really need to worry much about setting up a partition (Bootcamp) or a virtual disk (PD), because they will do most of the work for you. You do need to decide which you're going to use. And I'm not sure exactly about some details of using PD with a Bootcamp partition, as I haven't done that, and I don't have Leopard. Like, does it still need to be <32GB and HFS to access files from the Mac side? I think it still does if you want to access directly, via the Finder (the Bootcamp partition just opens in a window). But via PD, do those limitations apply?

So, yes, it requires a little learning, fussing about, etc.. But, if you'd ever tried Virtual PC, back in the pre-Intel days, the speed with PD is amazing, and it's pretty easy to use.

(P.S. It is also possible that you could fool your machinery site to access Safari. There is a debug mode where you can set Safari to tell them that it's Internet Explorer. In many cases the web site then works. Anal-retentive web designers syndrome. I don't know the details however, as I've never needed to do it, but it is available. Anyone?)

I've been running Parallels since it came out with XP Pro - no problems at all.

You really should opt for XP Pro but get an OEM version for half the price of a full retail, sometimes you just need to buy a mouse to qualify. Installation is a breeze.

Bump up the RAM to 3Gb and you'll be in heaven, otherwise might notice some performance issues running multiple apps. The iMac can't address more than 3Gb so you don't need 2 x 2Gb chips. Mine runs fantastic on 3Gb

I don't run any virus stuff as I don't use the PC side for e-mail or surfing and Explorer 7 is much more secure too.

Leave Vista in the box.

This topic is 5993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.