Google Calendar API

TRF

This topic is 4679 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey all -

I've successfully synchronized my filemaker solution to google calendar (for multiple, secure accounts) using googles nifty API. The icing on my cake is to us the API's tag to embed a link that calls on an fmp connected PHP page. For the life of me I can't get their link logic to work. Anyone used it?

Thanks,

Tim

Do you mean you have events entered in Filemaker driving google calendars events? I'm about to migrate my entire office email to google platform, I'm also trying to get a workflow management solution going for them. Having Filemaker talking to google calendars would be IDEAL!!!

Sorry for the delay on this one - for some reason I couldn't access the site a few days ago.

Anyways - yes we are moving event information back and forth to google calendar. It takes a bit of work - working with Google's api. I've been doing exclusively the mac platform - submitting information via applescript/shell (using curl) and importing xml using a style sheet someone helped me with here.

If you're willing to hack through the applescript/shell stuff I'd be happy to send some info on.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps will it be more convenient to massage iCal with applescript and then let the comming feature of this:

http://www.busymac.com/

...be in charge of massaging the Google Calendar??? There is a download to the AS bit here:

http://www.jonathanstark.com/downloads/FMPtoiCal.fp7.zip

--sd

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Every once in a while I get an email asking if I ever got this google calendar solution off the ground and if so - do I have a demo? In brief - yes and yes - but my demo is pretty rough right now. AS of 1/1/2009 I'm working to migrate this solution from an fmrobot solution to an FM 10 server based google syncing solution. Its not as portable as I'd like it to be - primarily because of the highly customized solution its for. It has been successfully deployed for about a year - but its been prone to errors due to irregular work flow and having my robot on a machine seperate from the server.

I will try to post a cleaned up demo at some point. If enough people show interest maybe I can just start to post code and we can do some sort of open source tools for the FM community.

FYI - right now the solution uses applescript to talk to terminal. I'm moving to using zippshell - but I'm still not cross platform - mac only - sorry.

PS - it should be noted that there are robust client libraries for web based google syncing implementation. The RoR community seems to be working on a plugin. No WSDL as yet.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I did get a chance to look at the code and it is a bit tricky and since I effectively have 5 different calendars I'm working with, it's going to take me a lot more time than I think I'm willing to put into this project for work since I'm doing this as a proof of concept for our particular application.

I took a look at http://www.qutic.com/product/FM-iCal-Connector and it looks promising and works beautifully since I'm already using the Google CalDav tool...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

okay I guess what I need to know is this.

WE are trying to integrate google calendar to filemaker pro client software. we are not using a php or any type of web interface. Has anybody tried this or done this and can you help us figure out how to do it if you have. We do not need to integrate scheduling data from filemaker, we just need to be able to access the calendar and make changes in the calendar.

• 5 months later...

Have been doing some playing with this on a PC using Scriptmaster, there are Applescript things for thins but most of my work is for people with Win platforms machines (and me)

You need Java 1.6 for this to work, after many frustrating hours on my older machine!!!

Also a bunch of google jar files

gdata-base

gdata-calendar

gdata-calendar-meta

gdata-client

gdata-core

guava

The following code will create a calendar item ( timed or all day ) you obviously need to to feed it your own gmail account, login, and calendar name to work...

Am most of the way through getting a list of diary items for a date range, just need to get them sorted by time of appearance, if you are interested, but it is basically the reverse of this...

Am doing it for me as I use gCal to sync my outlook to my iCal on a working mac machine and then onto my ipod touch, also means that alarms appear on which ever computer I am working on at the time.

And now I can send it things from Filemaker too...

// gCalMake( fm_title ; fm_content ; fm_date ; fm_startTime ; fm_endTime ; fm_place ; fm_remind )

// 2010/10/10 JR

// v1

// takes fm_title, fm_content, fm_date, fm_startTime

// optional fm_place

// if fm_endTime is null makes it a one hour appointment

// if fm_remind = 0 sets no reminder else sets reminder in minutes

import com.google.gdata.client.calendar.*

import com.google.gdata.data.*

import com.google.gdata.data.calendar.*

import com.google.gdata.data.extensions.*

import com.google.gdata.util.*

import java.net.URL

import java.text.SimpleDateFormat

myService = new CalendarService( "CAL_NAME" )

try {

myService.setUserCredentials( "[email protected]", "PASSWORD" )

} catch ( AuthenticationException e ) {

// Invalid credentials

e.printStackTrace()

}

postUrl = new URL( "https://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/[email protected]/private/full" )

myEntry = new CalendarEventEntry()

myEntry.setTitle( new PlainTextConstruct( fm_title ) )

myEntry.setContent( new PlainTextConstruct( fm_content ) )

myEntry.addLocation( new Where( "", "", fm_place ) )

eventTimes = new When()

if ( fm_date.length() < 10 ) {

// needs 2010/mo/dd

return "Error"

}

if ( fm_startTime == "all" ) {

st = ( fm_date + "T01:00:00" ).replaceAll( "/", "-")

} else {

st = ( fm_date + "T" + fm_startTime + ":00" ).replaceAll( "/", "-")

}

if (fm_endTime == null) {

et = ( fm_date + "T" + ( fm_startTime ) + ":00")

et= et.replaceAll( "/", "-")

} else {

et = (fm_date + "T" + fm_endTime + ":00")

et = et.replaceAll( "/", "-")

}

startTime = DateTime.parseDateTime( st )

if ( fm_endTime == null ) {

//add an hour

endd = DateTime.parseDateTime( st ).getValue() + 3600000L

endTime = new DateTime( endd )

} else {

endTime = DateTime.parseDateTime ( et )

}

if ( fm_startTime == "all" ) {

startTime.setDateOnly( true )

endTime.setDateOnly( true )

}

eventTimes.setStartTime( startTime )

eventTimes.setEndTime( endTime )

myEntry.addTime( eventTimes )

CalendarEventEntry insertedEntry = myService.insert( postUrl, myEntry )

// do the reminder after event is created

if ( fm_startTime != "all" ) {

if ( fm_remind != "0" ) {

reminder = new Reminder()

reminder.minutes = fm_remind.toInteger()

// change to ALL, ALERT, SMS, MAIL as reqd

reminder.setMethod( com.google.gdata.data.extensions.Reminder$Method.ALERT )

insertedEntry.getReminder().add( reminder )

insertedEntry.update()

}

}

return true

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi,

We're just about to release a plug-in to integrate FileMaker to Google Calendar. The plug-in works on FM Pro, FM Server & FM Runtime solutions and is x-plat. Please see www.fmgcal.com for more details. We'll be exhibiting the plug-in at FileMaker Devcon next week in San Diego.

I hope this helps some of you and look forward to seeing some of you at Devcon.

All the best,

Chaim

This topic is 4679 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.