Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Field holding "Modification Account Name" data is not auto-entering

This topic is 5894 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When any fields in a record is changed at all, I want to save who made that change in the "ModifiedBy" field in that record.

Before I set up account authentication using Active Directory, this worked. Now, the "ModifiedDate" field is changing to the correct date, but the "ModifiedBy" field is staying blank instead of updating with my account name or the AD group name. I'm getting nothing.

Any ideas what is causing the problem and how to resolve?

Thank you in advance.

Interesting.

I would not expect the group Name. When using External Server Authentication, get(AccountName) returns the actual Account anme, not the group Name.

This might be a design limitation or a buglet if the auto-enter Account name for modification is not working. [color:red]You are using the auto-enter feature, correct?

steven

I need to do a test or two on this.

Steven, we use the modification account name with the auto-enter and it works for us. It will pull in the AD user account name as it should.

Steven, we use the modification account name with the auto-enter and it works for us. It will pull in the AD user account name as it should.

That's exactly what it's supposed to do. Trying to figure out ehre what the original poster has done differently.

Steven

This might be a design limitation or a buglet if the auto-enter Account name for modification is not working. You are using the auto-enter feature, correct?

Yes, when I double-click the field CreatedBy to view the Options, under the "Auto-Enter" tab, I have the "Creation" checkbox selected and "Account Name" in the dropdown box.

The field itself is a text field...

Oh, I think I found the problem.

Yes, that's it! My field was a text field, but somehow I had checked the "Strict data type: numeric only" under the Validation tab. I noticed because it showed up under the "Options/Comments" when I was looking at the whole list of fields in my table.

Wow, that was stupid of me.

I just tested by adding another record and, like magic, my account name showed up in the field again.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot.

You've switched from ModifiedBy to CreatedBy.

I apologize for any confusion, bcooney.

To clarify, I was having this issue with both my CreatedBy and ModifiedBy fields. I just only mentioned one in my original post. I was trying not to be confusing. Oh well. In any case, it was the same issue with both. I had somehow accidentally checked the "Validation: numeric only" option.

This topic is 5894 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.