Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Noting an auspicious anniversary

This topic is 5895 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

March 9th 2008

Today marks the fourth anniversary of the release of FileMaker Pro 7, of the arrival of the still current .fp7 format, and of the beginning of the modern era of professional FileMaker development.

This auspicious anniversary offers us the opportunity both to reflect on lessons learned and to apply the wisdom of those lessons to the future.

First, we have learned that the conceptual changes required to master the modern versions of the products outstrip and outweigh the technical changes. We have needed to adopt new ways of thinking about business problems we use FileMaker Pro to solve as well as new ways to apply the products to achieving those solutions. A good number of our former colleagues from the .fp5 and the .fp3 days either could not make those transitions, or else, they did not make them. They have quit the field, so to speak, and now labor elsewhere. We need not join them, neither now nor in the future.

Second, we have learned that the dramatic evolution of FileMaker Pro has brought new colleagues to the professional developer community. They have come with fresh insights, with fresh ideas, and with an occasional loud boom. They have for the overwhelming part raised the competence level of the community. We hope that a continued influx of new developers and new thinking will continue to propel us along that upward and expansive course.

Third, we have learned that as a developer community we must take responsibility both for our own continuing education and for our continued self-regulation. We really have had a huge amount to learn these past four years. And by and large, we have accomplished that through our own efforts. That direction and that posture must continue. Indeed it must accelerate.

So as we look forward to the future of FileMaker as outlined and described in the corporate Roadmap, we can do so with a certainty born of our experience these past four years and with the concomitant confidence drawn from the wisdom gained. We have a long way yet to go; we will make that journey.

Steven

Everything old is new again ...

from "The FileMaker Report", 1998:

"FileMaker Pro starting with version 3.0 is very different from the FileMaker that came before. It is increasingly a developer's tool: it is harder to use, projects require more experience and discipline, and new features favor traditionally trained programmers over the interested amateur. Even though we are full time professional FileMaker developers, it has still taken us a long time to understand and adapt to these profound changes"

Sound familiar?

That was an immensely thought-provoking remark, Steven. In fact, at least some parts of it could be described as an incitement to riot. I'll try to restrain myself for now and only ask this:

as we look forward to the future of FileMaker as outlined and described in the corporate Roadmap

Who is "we"? Is this future of FileMaker published anywhere?

Steven is referring to NDA material which cannot be discussed and which probably cannot even be discussed in reference. This thread should be deleted.

Deleted? Why? Is there a matter of national security involved in this?

If Steven feels he should not have mentioned it, he can edit his message to remove the reference to it. If he asks me to do the same, I will - purely out of courtesy, not because I have any obligation to do so. I am not aware that protecting the interests of FMI is a function of this forum - so what's this rush to censorship?

Steven is referring to NDA material which cannot be discussed and which probably cannot even be discussed in reference. This thread should be deleted.

Why? I didnt see anything posted which has inferred any kind of violation or leaking of secrets.

That was an immensely thought-provoking remark, Steven. In fact, at least some parts of it could be described as an incitement to riot. I'll try to restrain myself for now and only ask this:

Who is "we"? Is this future of FileMaker published anywhere?

I would venture to say that EVERY corporation has a "roadmap" that they follow to guide them to their desired future destination - to deny one exists is folly.

What is important is that the driver of this voyage - FileMaker - is capable of traversing the technology superhighway, using their very best abilities and abundance of talent.

I am for one, grateful to be along for the ride.

The term "auspicious" is defined as:

auspicious |ôˈspi sh əs|

adjective

conducive to success; favorable : it was not the most auspicious moment to hold an election.

• giving or being a sign of future success : they said it was an auspicious moon—it was rising.

• archaic characterized by success; prosperous : he was respectful to his auspicious customers.

Take a look at where we are today and where we were at the release of the FM7, the modern era of FileMaker. A way to measure and extrapolate your progress on your journey is determined by reflection of where we've been. Truly shows how far we've come in such a short time.

Stephen

Edited by Guest

I asked a simple question. I am not looking to get into argument over the assessment of the past four years. I have my own opinion but as I said, I'll restrain myself. My concern is for the future.

If, as you say, FMI is "the driver of this voyage", and we are "along for the ride" - is it too much to ask about our destination, or at least the next stop?

Deleted? Why? Is there a matter of national security involved in this?

Please Comment, don't be so selfish. Think of our overseas security too :

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5895 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.