Unable to launch FMP Server

This topic is 5742 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have just installed FileMaker Server 9v3 on a fully-updated Leopard server. The installation seems to run without any problems, and then I'm taken to a web page that is supposed to start the admin console. The admin console tries to launch but then I get an error dialog box saying:

Unable to launch the application

Name: FMS9-Admin Console

Publisher: Filemaker, Inc.

There's a details button; the resulting "More Information" window has two buttons, "Launch File" and "Exception".

The Launch File button shows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

FileMaker, Inc.

FileMaker Server Admin Console

FileMaker Server Admin Console

FMS9-Admin Console

keep-alive-interval=60

log-level=WARNING

carrier-stream-provider=com.ulcjava.base.shared.TrivialCarrierStreamProvider

url-string=https://localhost:16001/adminconsole.ulc

launchtype=initial-multi

server-language=en

The Exception button shows:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:1281)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:1219)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Launcher.java:1066)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:105)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

at com.filemaker.adminconsole.ui.clients.AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.(AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.java:195)

at com.filemaker.adminconsole.ui.clients.AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.main(AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.java:102)

... 9 more

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.oaklandsw.util.LogUtils.checkInitialLogging(LogUtils.java:61)

at com.oaklandsw.http.HttpURLConnection.(HttpURLConnection.java:159)

... 11 more

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.oaklandsw.http.HttpURLConnection.(HttpURLConnection.java:1114)

at com.oaklandsw.http.eb.(eb.java:179)

at com.oaklandsw.http.Handler.openConnection(Handler.java:19)

at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:943)

at sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection.(JarURLConnection.java:64)

at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPCachedJarURLConnection.(JNLPCachedJarURLConnection.java:66)

at com.sun.javaws.net.protocol.jar.Handler.openConnection(Handler.java:21)

at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:943)

at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.getJarFile(URLClassPath.java:581)

at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.(URLClassPath.java:546)

at sun.misc.URLClassPath$3.run(URLClassPath.java:324)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(URLClassPath.java:313)

at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(URLClassPath.java:290)

at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(URLClassPath.java:160)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:192)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)

at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.findClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:256)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)

at com.oaklandsw.util.LogUtils.checkInitialLogging(LogUtils.java:40)

... 12 more

Can anyone figure out what all this means and suggest what I need to do to make FileMaker Server run? I don't know anything about java...

Thanks

I get the same error as anothersmurf, on an xserver running 10.5.2, having installed FP server v9.03, completed the 9.0.3.326 update and restarted. I done the update twice and restarted each time to no avail. I still get the same error as above. Could there be something else?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Rob

• Newbies

I had installed FM Server 9, and been running it successfully for months. Then my server crashed and I had to rebuild and re-install FM Server 9. When it launches the Admin Console, it shows a message about being unable to connect to the admin server and closes.

I got an email about an update to version 9.0.3.326 that would fix this (I am running OS 10.4.11). When I try to install this, I get to the step about Set Permissions and it starts and immediately closes. Then I thought that I have to first go up to verions 9.03 (I have 9.02.1) But when I try to update to 9.0.3, it keeps saying that it can't update unless I shut down Filemaker Server but it's not running since I can't get the Admin Console to open.

I am in a pickle. HELP!!!

it keeps saying that it can't update unless I shut down Filemaker Server but it's not running since I can't get the Admin Console to open.

Isn't that a bit of a broad assumption to make? The process could still be running but the admin console is likely corrupt due to incorrect order of application. Kill the FileMaker Server process (given that its not hosting anything, it shouldn't matter) fmserverd or something along those lines from my limited mac deployment experience.

Windows XP and 2003 Server

1. Disconnect all clients and close all files.

2. In the FileMaker Server Admin Console, stop Web Publishing and the Database Server.

3. Quit the FileMaker Server Admin Console, the Start Page and PHP Site Assistant if they are running.

4. In the Windows Services Console, select Services (Local).

5. Select the FileMaker Server service, then choose Action menu > Stop.

Does FMS now support deployment on XP then?

• Newbies

Point taken. I used Activity Monitor to shut down all the FM processes. So...I was then able to instal 9.0.3 successfully. When I attempt to do the 9.0.3.326 update, it still quits when I double-click the Set Permissions file.

Any ideas? Time is getting short for our report card season.... (I am really a teacher who administers the server in her spare time.)

Vicki

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

We spent the last week trying to get a new install of FMS9A Mac operational on an established 10.4.11 Server machine.

Tried all the suggestions in this and other forums but no matter how we installed the FMS9 Start Page alias on the desktop would launch the FMS9-Admin Console app but no window would appear. This would eventually time out with an error dialog "The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server."

As our server is running headless we couldn't try the "unplug ethernet" option as suggested in many places with similar symptoms. But I thought I'd try playing with our ethernet config.

Found that turning off all proxy settings for using our local internet cache/proxy server for internet access resolved the issue.

Believe now that there was never a Java, Caches, or Install Process involvement in our issue, and that the failure is a 'feature deficiency' where the Admin Console can't be used with proxies configured in the server's networking System Preferences.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to get this thing working, too. I just tried installing it on my server Windows 2003, but seeing there was a problem with my server hosting websites, I gave up that route. Now I am going ahead and putting it on my Mac. I have the newest system, 10.5.4, but it won't start.

After install, I tried to launch the consul and it comes up with "Unable to start database server. Please contact your system administrator for assistance." I don't have any virus stuff on this system, just straight out of the box MAC. Any help would be great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I read this post a while back and applied the fix and now the admin console launches no problem LOCALLY on the server box but I am now experiencing the problem on another Mac which also has leopard while trying to login to the admin console remotely. Any fixes?

This topic is 5742 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.