Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Edit External Data Source - Changing Data Source Name (DSN)

This topic is 3867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have connected many tables from an SQL database to a FileMaker file. This was a test SQL database with fake data and records in it. The real database is an exact copy of the test database-- all the same tables and fields, and views -- just different data and records.

Now that I have the Layouts set up like they need to be in the FileMaker file, I needed to edit the External Data Source to point to the real database rather than the fake one.

To do this, I set up a completely new ODBC data source on the FileMaker Server that points to the real database. I then went into "Manage External Data Sources" in the FileMaker file. I double-clicked on the data source to bring up the "Edit Data Source" window.

On the DSN line, it specified the old data source, so I clicked on "specify" to change it to the new one I just created. I selected the new data source from the list of ODBC data sources on the File Maker server, and clicked okay out of all the windows.

But I still only see the fake data. Even after closing and reopening the file.

What do I need to do to get the data to refresh and show the information in the newly connected, real database?

I tried going into the relational table diagram, double-clicking on the tables, and re-associating them with the correct tables, and that worked, but not the way I need it to. The real data would show up, but re-associating the tables also created a completely new table in my list of tables in the "Manage Database" window. And that messed up all the FileMaker summary and calculation fields I had set up, and the layouts don't show up correctly then either.

What step am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can first try to use the "Sync" button that is under the fields tab of Manage Databases when you select your External Source.

However, if I remember correctly, when had a similar issue a few months ago, whenever a schema change happens to the External Source, much like like the import mapping issues, it will break fields. They renamed a few field on SQL server for us and it broke our fields in FileMaker. Actually, be renaming the fields, strangely it deleted it from the ESS fields and added the renamed as a new field ( looking at the fields from FileMaker of course).

Hi,

I'm afraid you will have to live with that method of double clicking each Shadow Table Occurrence and reassign the correct source, one by one, rebuilding the relations with the correct keys afterwards.

If there's another way, I'd too like to know it.

I found another way! Not the best answer, but it works.

I renamed the SQL database holding all the fake data and records. Then I renamed the real database with the fake database's old name.

It connected right up and showed the real data like nothing had ever changed.

You can first try to use the "Sync" button that is under the fields tab of Manage Databases when you select your External Source.

It didn't find the records when I tried that either.

However, if I remember correctly, when had a similar issue a few months ago, whenever a schema change happens to the External Source, much like like the import mapping issues, it will break fields. They renamed a few field on SQL server for us and it broke our fields in FileMaker. Actually, be renaming the fields, strangely it deleted it from the ESS fields and added the renamed as a new field ( looking at the fields from FileMaker of course).

Yep, I've had the same issue when changing a field name in SQL. When you hit the "Sync" button, it adds in those fields like they're brand-new instead of updating the names of the ones you already had listed. If there's a way around that, I'd be happy, too! Did you find a solution to it, other than deleting the field with the old name?

one other thing worth mentioning, that has been occurring in my setups, is that reassigning ESS TOC's in the RG creates new shadow tables, which requires deleting the old. Bit of a worry thinking what may occult instance may still be assigned somewhere in a layout or script, but illogical of course.

Additionally as mr_vodka found, check all the FM layout ESS fields, they can magically change if mappings have failed, or as a consequence of redefining the relationships.

Server: Win XP SP2

Local dev: Mac OsX.5.2

FM 9v3

Edited by Guest

• 5 years later...

This topic is 3867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.