Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relating Networked solution to Run Time solution

This topic is 5832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can a run time solution be related to a networked multi table solution?

I have a networked solution of multiple tables with patient data, patient interactions, patient services and products all related by the various ID numbers. I would like to give the patient a copy of his/her interactions on record (on CD or Flash memory stick) in the form of a run time solution. My plan is to make a run time solution that is a mirror of my solution but only containing that single patient's data. Before going to the trouble of making a run time solution, I want to find out if my plan is doable: make a relationship between the run time solution tables and the tables in the networked solution that I would use to run scripts in the run time solution that would make a new record in the run time solution into which I could copy data from the related tables in the networked solution. (This would be done after all previous data in the run time solution was deleted.).

I don't want to use IMPORT as that requires the user to field match one table to the other. I want the user to click one button then sit back while the system does it all. The user would then simply copy the run time solution to the memory medium. ( I under stand the run time solution can't be networked so plan to have each user have a copy of the run time solution.)

Thanks for any help.

OS

Questions about using Runtimes, or Standalones in a served environment come up from time to time.

The short answer is No, runtimes can not be served, and can not access served files, since Version 3. You should do a search for Runtimes and Server on the Forum, and you will find several Threads on this Subject. You will also find some suggestions on alternatives.

HTH

Lee

A runtime solution consists of runtime file (or files) and the runtime engine (application). Runtime files can be opened by the Filemaker application, just like any .fp7 file. So you could do this:

1. Create a template (empty) runtime solution.

2. Open a copy of the runtime file in Filemaker, and fill it with records.

3. Give the copy of the runtime file, along with the runtime engine, to the patient.

Thanks 'Comment'.

What you describe is exactly what I want to do. The place where I'm stuck is in the "fill it with records".

Since the records reside on a server in a networked solution, and the run time template on each individual user, should I/could I:

a) copy records from then networked solution to a global in the Run Time Template, after which I would create a new record in the Run Time Template and copy from its globals to new record field (and repeat for all records using a lopping script);

;) male a relationship (if possible) from the networked solution to a global in the Run Time Template allowing me to make a portal (of networked solution tables) in the Run Time Template and use the portal to make and populate new records in the Run Time Template (using a looping script).

And Thanks to Lee Smith - I'll look up the Runtime posts as you suggest.

OS

I don't think it matters where the file resides. What matters is that when the file is opened in Filemaker (Server or Pro), it behaves like any other file - including networking.

If I had to this, I would probably create an intermediate file, with references to the template file AND to the data file/s. This file would have all the relationships and scripts required to "load" the template with data. The template would remain completely "dumb" in this aspect.

• 2 weeks later...

To comment: Thanks for you're input above and I have a few questions. I have read that Run Times can't be networked but your statement "I don't think it matters where the file resides" suggests either that this is not true OR that data can be entered into a Run Time File just that the Run Time can't be run on a network.

What you call the "dumb intermediate" would be my GUI file (all the scripts, relationships and globals). To make the relationships and scripts from this file work, the Run Time File would have to be on the server to make this a click and wait operation (without further user interaction.) That means the file would then be copied from the server/host, instead of the client, to the transport media.

Have I got it right?

I have read that Run Times can't be networked

I'm afraid we are still not talking about the same thing. A runtime FILE (as opposed to the runtime APPLICATION) is a regular Filemaker file, with a 'runtime flag' set on (and a couple of more things that bind it to the runtime application). When you open such file in a "real" Filemaker application, all these settings are ignored, and Filemaker treats it like any other .fp7 file (though you might need to change the extension - I haven't tested this).

I am not sure why the file would HAVE to be placed on the server, but I believe it could (again, this is something I cannot test).

What you call the "dumb intermediate" would be my GUI file

No, I don't think so. I meant an intermediate file that would run the process of loading your data file with data. It wouldn't be dumb at all, on the contrary. It would contain all the logic (relationships and scripts) required for this process. The reason why I would do this in a separate file is that this is done once, and only at your place. It makes no sense to burden your GUI file wih this stuff - especially since it requires relationships to the source data tables, which will not be available to the runtime.

This topic is 5832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.