LayoutAccess of the layout the button links to?

This topic is 5828 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to change the color of a text button using conditional formatting. The formula needs to be based on the priviledges of the user on the linked layout (forward). When I use "Get ( LayoutAccess ) > 0", it is just returning the access of the layout the user is currently on. I need it to read the access of the layout the button links to.

Any thoughts of how to do this?

thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

I finally have some time to get back to this. I have been trying to dig through your suggestion to "use Get(PrivilegeSetName) instead, and deduce the specific layout's access from there.", but I am at a loss. could you elaborate?

It will pull the PriviledgeSetName.

I can build the layout name the script points to with Get (scriptParameter) & "_form"

But I don't know how to check the PriviledgeSetName against the layout name. Is this going the right direction or am I totally lost?

No, I meant simply that if you know which layout the user wants to go, and you know what privilege set they have, then you should also know if they are entitled to go there. It seems you want to keep this generalized, so it's more difficult.

I haven't tested this, but perhaps you could just let them try going wherever they want to, and check for errors.

Thanks,

Yes, the navigation with priviledge checks is working, and I am very happy with it. What I was trying to do here is the incorporate that idea into the conditional formatting to make buttons sensitive to the users priviledges and to "grey" it out if they didn't have access. Just trying to do what most apps do as visual cue as opposed to the user getting a string of "not admitted dialogs".

With conditional formatting being somewhat new, maybe there is not a way to do this yet?

I'm about ready to give up on this one. Do you think there's much hope?

thanks,

idee

I think the only way to do this is to hard-code the privilege set's name into the condition, e.g.:)

Get(PrivilegeSetName) = "Apprentice" or Get(PrivilegeSetName) = "TempWorker"

Of course, if you later change the set's name or the actual privileges, or add a privilege set, you'll have to redo the conditional formatting as well.

You could perhaps make it easier by using some pattern in naming your privilege sets, so that you could check for something like:

Leftwords ( Get(PrivilegeSetName) ; 1 ) = "Level1"

Thanks,

I am going to have to dig a bit deeper on this. For the mean time I have kind of reversed the logic. I have just set it to grey out links based on "Guest".

Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) = "Guest"

That should hold temporarily.

thanks for the help.

This topic is 5828 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.