License conflict

This topic is 5767 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a solution hosted on an iMac using Server 9. When I use my Client app (on the same iMac) it runs fine, until I try to connect to my hosted solution, when it gives this message: "The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro. Please refer to the License Key section of your software documentation for further instructions. License key conflict occurred with user [host name]. All files will be closed and the application will quit." Both the client and server apps have legit, different license keys. Nobody else is accessing the host. What have I done wrong? I can't find anything helpful in the "software documentation". It was working fine until a week ago.

Thanks

The server machine and the client machine are the same in this instance. The client app is only running when I launch it (as far as I know - it does act as though it's already running somehow due to the conflict message but I don't know how that can be). Does this mean I can't run the client and server on the same machine? Do I NEED a dedicated machine to run server?

Thanks again

"Why not?"

If a hosted file is opened with FileMaker Pro directly, it can corrupt the file. The file needs to be opened through the Open Remote command, so it's going through FM Server.

To open the file "directly" in FMP it first needs to be closed in FM Server (and re-opened again in FMS afterwards).

For inexperienced people, it's easy to corrupt files and/or crash the server.

I have the same problem, similar any way. I have two databases hosted by FMS9A. On the same machine, I'm running FMP8.5A. I can open remote one of the databases, but when I try to open remote the second one, I get a license error. It's as if a client can only open one hosted database, and that doesn't make sense to me. All apps are registered. (I'm new to FMS9A and only have one machine to test on. When I move to production, FMS9A will be stand alone. Also FMP8.5A (appropriately) won't let you open a hosted database locally, so not sure how the corruption scenario referred to can occur - but now I'm nervous.)

There was a post a couple of months ago about such an issue. I believe the solution was linked to file references with hard-coded IP numbers; they were self-referential (or something).

Look at the file references and clean them up.

"Why not?"

If a hosted file is opened with FileMaker Pro directly, it can corrupt the file. The file needs to be opened through the Open Remote command, so it's going through FM Server.

To open the file "directly" in FMP it first needs to be closed in FM Server (and re-opened again in FMS afterwards).

For inexperienced people, it's easy to corrupt files and/or crash the server.

I understand the distinction now. I have a script that opens the hosted file via the host's IP address rather than routing to its directory location (which is obviously a bad idea!), so I guess that's OK to continue doing then.

Thanks

And you'd guess wrong on that as well. [color:red]Do not run FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server simultaneously on the same machine.

Steven

[color:red]Thanks for the advice, Steven.

As I still don't know there reason why I can't do so if connecting "remotely", despite the foregoing posts, maybe someone could tell me! Is it just the possibility of inadvertently opening a hosted file directly?

DRL

This topic is 5767 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.