Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 5704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Solution: Faux Portal Filter

Description: Combining the power of Find Mode with the control of a portal.

Solution Status: Beta

Author(s): jmormond

Date: 08/28/08

Your Thoughts?

I wanted to get your opinion and suggestions on this idea. I would like to get away from using the copy all records script step, since it uses the clipboard and an extra layout), but I can't figure another way that doesn't drastically slow down the performance. (Tried using a Loop to grab the ID's, but the more search results you have the slower it goes)

This works great in the solutions that I am currently using it in. Even with a search result of 14,000 records, the script finishes in a matter of seconds.

What it does:

Enter search criteria in the Search Field and click "Go".

Search criteria can be whole words, partial words, middle parts of words (doesn't have to begin with the search criteria, i.e. searching for "ear" will return all records with ear, search, etc...).

If you prefer the ability to manually type the search operators yourself, just remove the wildcards from the script.

[color:orange]Edit: See updated file below.

Disclaimer:

FM Forums does not endorse or warrantee these files are fit for any particular purpose. Do not post or distribute files without written approval from the copyright owner. All files are deemed public domain unless otherwise indictated. Please backup every file that you intend to modify.

Edited by Guest

Here is an updated file.

Thanks to David Head for his superior wisdom... :woohoo:

Simple and smooth (and probably nothing new), here is an update sample file that eliminates the copy and paste.

It uses a custom function from Ray Cologon to create a unique "Search ID". Used to tag the found set and create the relationship for the results portal.

Faux_Portal_Filter.zip

To get away from copying all records i'd use a custom function like the GetNthRecordSet or use the CustomList ( start; end ; function) to grab the data you want. You can do some pretty cool stuff with this one... http://www.briandunning.com/cf/868

Thanks Stephen.

I tested that custom function in the solution I am working on. It works just a touch slower on very large found sets (14,000+). Its only seconds, but David's approach will also let me track how often certain things are being searched. I hadn't planned it that way, but a nice side-effect, anyway.

However, I have a number of other areas where that CF is going to be a tremendous help.

That's what I love about these forums. Certainly no end to learning.

• 2 weeks later...

Josh, a few things to consider:

1. it changes the modification date of every found record

2. multiple users may run into record-locking issues during the Replace

3. the index for the searchID_tag field will continue to grow, which will eventually impact the performance of large data sets

1. it changes the modification date of every found record

2. multiple users may run into record-locking issues during the Replace

3. the index for the searchID_tag field will continue to grow, which will eventually impact the performance of large data sets

Thanks for the input Tom.

1. At least for this solution I am working on, the mod date isn't an issue. There will eventually be a Modifications History table to store all the changes made.

2. That is a matter I am going to have to address. For solutions other than the one I am working on, I will probably utilize the Custom Function Stephen referred to above to avoid this potential problem. This solution on has max of 3 users at any given time.

3. Yes, definitely an issue. I am going to set it up to only store the 10 most recent search ID's.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.