How to use Custom Function

This topic is 5528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

I need some help in getting a Custom Function to work. I am using one of Brian Dunnings Latitude & Longitude functions to calculate the distance between points. I copied and pasted it into a calculation field and it works great. I now want to use his "fnLatLon.bearing" function. It requires the use of his "Atan2" function.

How do I get these functions to work? I can prob put the fnLatLon.bearing function into a calculation field (I assume) but it doesn't work for atan2. If I put atan2 into a custom function (copy and paste) I get and error about "X" being an invalid field or something.

Cheers

It's difficult to advise without seeing the actual functions and with such vague description of the error message. In general, if a custom function requires another custom function, you must define the pre-requisite function first. Only then you will be able to define the other one.

Sorry, I should be more specific. I'm currently using FM 10 Pro Advanced.

atan 2 function:

Let ( [

a =

If ( x > 0 ; Atan( y / x ) ;

If ( x < 0 ; Pi - Atan( -y / x ) ;

Pi / 2 * Sign ( y ) ) );

result = Mod( a; 2 * Pi)

];

result

)

If I copy this into a new custom function, I get the error "specified parameter cannot be found" and the first x is highlighted.

Edited by Guest

I made a quick sample of the two Functions, notice that you need to do the CF for [color:blue]Atan2 before you do the CF [color:blue] fnLatLon.bearing

also, note that in the [color:blue]fnLatLon.bearing CF is calling [color:blue]fnAtan2 instead of [color:blue]Atan2, although it is the Atan2 CF you need, so just change the fnAtan2 to Atan2.

BTW, I did not get the answer shown in the example at Brian Dunning's site???

I'll leave that to you to figure out where I errored, or the Author did. :

HTH

Lee

atan2.fp7.zip

Edited by Guest

BTW, FileMaker points to errors in calcultions, as you have described. In this case, the [color:red]x needs to be added as a parameters, along with [color:red]y in order for Atan.2 to be correct. Also, in fnLatLon.bearing, you will need to create the parameters of [color:red]lat1, lat2, lon1 and lon2 for it to work. Open my example file, and I think you will see what I mean.

HTH

Lee

[color:blue]To change your Profile, go to the menu bar above, MY PROFILE >> Control Panel >> FileMaker Questions.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Lee, I now have the function working but like you the results aren't accurate. No probs though, I'm sure I can troubleshoot through that.

Actually, just sorted it out. Adding 90 degrees give the correct answer.

Cheers

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.