Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multikey / Subsummary Issue

This topic is 5447 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey all, I seem to be having a bit of trouble with a report I'm generating from FileMaker.

I am trying to make a subsummary report, but it does not display properly. It is based on the Supervisors::Name field. It repeats some values, and omits others, seemingly at random, based on if there are multiple supervisors listed. It is a multi-key field

Attached are screenshots of the report and my database structure. Hopefully this is an easy fix, it's been driving me nuts for weeks...

db_structure.JPG

Report.JPG

Edited by Guest
Added clarification

I think you may have some structural issues here. What layout is this report based off of and what is the purpose of this report?

It is based on the Supervisors::Name field. ... It is a multi-key field

What exactly does that mean? If you are using a a field with a list of values as your breakfield, you will get a sub-summary for every individual combination of values. I have the impression that if you stretched the name field downwards, you would see what's happening.

What exactly does that mean? If you are using a a field with a list of values as your breakfield, you will get a sub-summary for every individual combination of values. I have the impression that if you stretched the name field downwards, you would see what's happening.

Ahh, you are exactly right.

Is there any way top make it read each multi key as a single entry and sort it that way?

Is there any way top make it read each multi key as a single entry and sort it that way?

No - and it wouldn't help anyway, because sorting is not the issue here. To take a very simple example, consider a table with 3 records:

#1. Category: A

#2. Category: B

#3. Category: A¶B

Ideally, your summary would look like this:

Category A:

Category B:

But clearly, this requires 4 records - and the same record cannot appear twice in a report. You need another table where the multi-line values will be broken up into individual records.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 5447 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.