Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Email feature backwards compatible?

This topic is 5421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm getting ready to upgrade our server to FM 10, and I'm curious if users connecting with the FM 9 client will be able to use the email functionality offered in FM 10. If not, does it error gracefully, or would I see bigger problems if a version 9 client user tried to run a script that used the email function?

Thanks!

If I understand your question I don't think the version running on the server comes directly into play at all. When an FM9 client workstation connects to a database running on FM Server 10, only features of the Filemaker version installed on the local PC are available. So even though it is possible to use SMTP on FMS10, it won't be used because SMTP, or the lack of, is performed on the local workstation.

Now if you scheduled an automated script to be run on the server it would utilize SMTP because the script would be running on the server rather than a workstation.

I could be wrong in my perception on this and I'm sure somebody more knowledgible will set-me-straight if I am but I think this is correct.

Pretty much what Ted said...

If you are sending an email through a send mail script step initiated by an end user using client then yes you will have compatibility issues. However, if instead you have something like your script create a bunch of record and then a server side script send emails based on those records, then you can just use FMS10.

IOW, if the sending action is done on the server, then its okay.

This topic is 5421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.