Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Danger if upgrading to FM server on OS X?

This topic is 5406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys -- I did read the note that this subforum is only for FM server 7 but I can't find any other place to post it so I hope you can help an old FM server 5.5 user...

I have an old iMac G3 OS 9.2 running on FileMaker server 5.5.

This same iMac is used to keep files (excel, word, etc) that all office members have access to (via ethernet) and we not only read but edit and save such files.

In 7+ years we have never experienced any trouble with this machine or FM server, however, it's getting old and it might die any moment now (the video card is known to just suddenly stop working on these machines), therefore, I would like to change to a newer G4 machine running OS X and install the FM server 5.5 that runs on such OS.

However, on the "Read me" file that comes with the installation CD (attached) it states on point 2.2.1:

"Because of the underlying Unix file system in Mac OS X, we recommend that you do not keep database files on shared or network volumes where multiple people might have simultaneous access to them".

As said before, all members of the office have access to shared files on the machine so... That warning refers to that or another thing? What would happen? Potentially overwriting the database files when saving one of the ethernet-shared files?

Best!

Danny

Read_Me_Mac_OS_X.txt

Hi Danny

The issue the Read Me file is talking about is allowing your database files to be opened via File Sharing or via Filemaker Pro directly when they are being hosted by FM Server. This is a _very_ bad idea and will almost certainly result in damage to your files.

When you set up the new machine, make sure that the database files hosted by FM Server are stored in a location that is not accessible to network users. E.G if you have a 'shared' folder where you keep files, don't put the databases in there!

Hope this helps

Hi tv_kid and thank you very much for your answer.

I think my misunderstanding then is with the word "volume" where on the "Read me" file it states "do not keep database files on shared or network volumes"... I understood volume = hard disk, therefore my apparently erroneous conclution was "do not have FM files on a hard drive that it's being shared by others to access other type of files".

So let me see if I got this straight:

My current set-up on the old iMac G3 is that FM databases are inside the FM server folder but this particular folder does not have sharing permissions enabled... The files that we all share in the office (excel, word, etc) are on a totally separate folder called "shared files". But both folders (FM server & shared files) are on the same hard drive.

This same set-up will be OK under OS X and FM server 5.5?

Best!

Hi Danny

The setup you describe is fine, and is a common one amongst smaller companies or those whose reliance on databases does not justify a dedicated server.

As you've confirmed, just make sure that the only 'user' with access to the hosted files is the 'fmserver' user or similar (I don't think FMS5.5 works in quite the same way as FMS7/8/9/10 as it's been a while since I've used it, but you get the idea).

I imagine the read me is advising against using a network or external drive as the repository for the live databases. This has performance and integrity implications and is not a god idea. The hosted databases should be on an internal drive, usually the boot drive.

Hope this helps

This topic is 5406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.