Server 5.5 on X Scheduler is broken!!!

This topic is 8247 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FileMaker Release 5.5 on July 30th but I still can't find a place that has it. I am on a backorder list. I hate that. Anyone else having trouble getting it?

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: spragueg ]

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: spragueg ]

• 2 weeks later...

How is it? (Server 5.5)

Anyone running it on OS X?

How's performance/stability compared to OS 9/Server 5 ?

Does the built-in backup feature work directly to CD on new systems with built-in CD-RWs (OS X)?

Any updates on where to purchase without having to wait?

Ok,

I got my copy about a week ago from mac zone. I installed it on a 450 cube running OS X 10.0.4. I have 32 databases and about 100 installed users, usually only about 20 concurrent users. Most of my clients are 9.1/FMP 5.x users a few win'98/FMP 5.5 users and one or two FMP5.5 on X. The install went of with out a hitch. I gave the new server the same name/IP and all clients and solutions work fine. Seems to be a little faster when under a load.

Only problem I have is that my scheduler for backups and applescripts is broken. It seems to do scheduled backups at random. Opting mostly to not do the backup at all :-( I am going to call FM as soon as the Tech Support line is open. If anyone else has this problem please respond here or shoot me an email [email protected].

Thanks,

Graham

Hey all,

I called FMP Tech support and they said they had never heard of the scheduler not firing problem but they did supply a few interesting pieces of knowledge about the scheduler. I though I would share...

1. Applescript support for scheduler is spotty in OS X so the "Run Script" is not reliable. (I use it to Mount a server every 1hr and it seems to work fine.)

2. When choosing a destination folder for Scheduler backups it is best to use a local volume. The Scheduler does not offically support backing up to a mounted volume.(I tested it and it works, but they claim it dosen't)

3. The path to the destination folder should be alpha numeric text only no spaces or "-" or ":" or other weird characters. (I had some spaces in my folder names so I removed them and the scheduler seems to be working now.)

Thanks,

Graham

Well, I spoke too soon. The scheduler still is not firing properly. It seems to fire once or sometimes twice right after you create a new schedule or edit an existing schedules time of execution.

Plan of attack...

A. Restart FileMaker Server

B. Restart MOSX Box

C. Reinstall FMP 5.5 Server

D. Reinstall MOSX

E. Shoot myself

Thanks,

Graham

Well, I stopped the server and rebooted OS X and the scheduler still is not working properly. I called tech support again to give them an update and they are going to try recreating the problem on their end. If they can reproduce it the tech said it would be made high priority for a bug fix. I am wondering if anyone out there other than me is using FMP 5.5 Server on MOSX that can test and see if they have the same problem. I am really not looking forward to reinstalling FMP or X so I am going to wait a few days and run backups manually(JOY!).

I was thinking there must be command line quivs for all the shchedule function so I spent awhile looking for the actuall server binary executable "fmseverd" but I cannot find it. This is odd because it's listed in the process viewer. I think it might be embeded in the "FileMaker Server Config.app" I looked in the package but found nothing. A Sherlock search for fmserverd finds nothing as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Graham

Depending on where the server installed it it may be "hidden" to the GUI.

If you're comfortable enough with the command line, try using "terminal.app" to browse your HD for it.

Otherwise I thought I heard that there were some freeware/shareware utilities out there that let you view all the hidden files in the GUI. (try versiontracker.com )

-A

Update...

Talked to FM tech support again. They recommended that I create a folder on the top level of the HD and set permissions to 777 using the same account as the server is logged in on. Then they said to use that folder as my backup destination. I get the same results the schedule fires off once and then never again.

Thanks,

Graham

Filemaker is very tight-lipped when I ask if the problem is ocurring with other users. They seem like they know about the problem and are trying to keep it low key until a fix comes. I can't belive there are no other FMP 5.5 on X users out there. I thought there would be a bunch more. So I can't even verify that.

Or maybe they are having no problems and never visit this forum topic. Or they don't use the Scheduler so they don't know the problem exists.

Oh well, I guess I'll call FileMaker again and tell them it's not working.... AGAIN.

Thanks,

G

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: spragueg ]

Arrrgggggghhh!

I would agree that 10.1 might fix it. However, cron seems to work fine. So why can't FMP Server 5.5 work? Doesn't make sense. It has to be a bug.

This is so anoying! If FileMaker Server 5.5 is a daemon like it's name implies, "fmserverd". I should be able to use the command like and script it with cron. But I can't seem to find anything about CLI commands. Even the FMP tech had no idea whether it could even be controled via the CLI. Also he had no idea where the "fmserverd " binary is or if there even is one. It is possible that the fmserverd is just stashed in the "Filemaker Server Config.app" somewhere.

Thanks,

Graham

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: spragueg ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I am having the same problem with my scheduler. It has only backed up once since I installed it a week ago. I've tried just about everything with no luck. Don't know if this is related but when it finally ran a back-up I began getting corrupted databases. plus every single database that was backed up thru the automated back-up is corrupted so it is worthless at this point. It is very buggy at this point.

10.1 Changes nothing with respect to FileMaker Server 5.5 as far as I can tell. My scheduler is still not functioning and I have received no word from FMP. I am going to call them but have been very busy. I will post back after I speak with them.

Thanks, our company just ordered a new G4 today and a copy of FM Server 5.5... Scheduled back-ups would be a big bonus...

We needed the speed/stability increase regardless of the back-up scheduler, but the scheduler sure would be nice.

Thanks for keeping us all informed of your progress with FMI!

-Arin

Just spoke with FMI. The tech said that Apple Events are supported in 10.1 and to use the applescripts in the Applescript Examples Folder to Backup the server. He also said that the Examples are only installed via the 9.x installer.

He said there is no ETA for a fix of the Scheduler due to all of the engineers working on a complete rewrite of the new 6.0 Engine.

Looks like the Scheduler will never be fixed in 5.x. I hope the Applescript kludge works or I'll be miffed at spending $499 for the 5.5 upgrade only to loose functionality.

Thanks,

G

Holy Cow FMI screwed the pooch on FMServer 5.5 for X!

Just tried to use Applescript with FMServer but it dosen't work. FMPServer Config does not respond to the AppleEvents included in the Examples.

So I guess FMP on X is completely useless. I can't use the Scheduler and I can't use Applescript to pause, copy and resume the files.

I think I am going to go back to 9.2.1. I hate to do it, performance may suffer, but at least I will have good backups.

Found a file in the FileMaker Server Config.app called "fmserver.scriptsuite"(see below). I'm not sure if I can use Applescript to access these commands. Does anyone know how?

fmserver.scriptsuite

{

AppleEventCode = FMS5;

Classes = {

"NSApplication" = {

"Superclass" = "NSCoreSuite.NSApplication";

"SupportedCommands" = {

"fmserver.stop" = "handleStopScriptCommand:";

"fmserver.start" = "handleStartScriptCommand:";

"fmserver.list databases" = "handleListDatabasesScriptCommand:";

"fmserver.database pause" = "handleDBPauseScriptCommand";

"fmserver.database resume" = "handleDBResumeScriptCommand";

"fmserver.force close" = "handleForceCloseScriptCommand";

"fmserver.database close" = "handleDBCloseScriptCommand";

"fmserver.database open" = "handleDBOpenScriptCommand";

};

"AppleEventCode" = "capp";

};

};

Commands = {

"database pause" = {

AppleEventClassCode = FMS5;

AppleEventCode = dbps;

Arguments = {};

CommandClass = FMSDatabasePauseScriptCommand;

Type = "";

};

"database resume" = {

AppleEventCode = dbrs;

Arguments = {};

CommandClass = FMSDatabaseResumeScriptCommand;

Type = "";

};

"force close" = {

AppleEventCode = fcls;

Arguments = {

message = {AppleEventCode = "data"; Optional = YES; Type = NSString; };

minutes = {AppleEventCode = "kocl"; Optional = YES; Type = NSNumber; };

};

CommandClass = FMSForceCloseScriptCommand;

Type = "";

};

"force quit" = {

AppleEventCode = fqit;

Arguments = {

message = {AppleEventCode = "data"; Optional = YES; Type = NSString; };

minutes = {AppleEventCode = "kocl"; Optional = YES; Type = NSNumber; };

};

CommandClass = FMSForceQuitScriptCommand;

Type = "";

};

"list schedules" = {

AppleEventCode = schd;

Arguments = {};

CommandClass = NSScriptCommand;

ResultAppleEventCode = "****";

Type = "";

};

"run schedule" = {

AppleEventCode = rsch;

Arguments = {};

ResultAppleEventCode = "****";

Type = "";

};

start = {

AppleEventCode = strt;

CommandClass = StartScriptCommand;

Type = "";

};

stop = {

AppleEventCode = stop;

Type = "";

};

"database open" = {

AppleEventCode = opnd;

CommandClass = FMSOpenScriptCommand;

Type = "";

};

"database close" = {

AppleEventCode = clse;

CommandClass = FMSCloseScriptCommand;

Type = "";

};

"list databases" = {

AppleEventCode = lbds;

Arguments = {

admin = {AppleEventCode = "kocl"; Optional = YES; Type = NSNumber; };

};

CommandClass = FMSListDatabasesScriptCommand;

Type = "";

};

};

Name = fmserver;

}

Looks like a bunch of AppleScripts for fmserver to me, but I'm not really well enough versed in AppleScript to say what exactly they do, I'd only be guessing if I ventured there...

I'd check the AppleScript help file, and then copy & paste some of that code into the Script Editor and see how it handles it.

Or you might want to post it to the "AppleScript" Forum topic and see if anyone can identify specific functions.

By the way did you ever find "fmserverd" ?

anything in the .app dir/file ?

Fmserverd is located in "FileMaker Server Config.app/Contents/Resources/fmserverd". I tried running "fmserverd --help but only got a few commands like start and stop server send a message etc. But I found no reference to commands for pausing databases.

BTW that code is not applescript. I think it's a config file used by the "make" utility when compliling or linking applications for OS X specifying AppleScript commands. I don't know if it means that Applescript is supported or not. I can't get any of them to work. And with out a dictionary I'm not so sure I will be able to get it to work. Script Editor does not recognize fmserverd or FileMaker Server Config.app as being Scriptable. Whether they are or not is another issue.

Stupid me! I wast looking closly enough at the output from the --help option. There is a command to Pause and Resume the databases and more. See below. They work too!!

Maybe I can write a shell script and fire it off with cron! Things are looking up. Still disappointed that I have to go through all this though.

usage: ./fmserverd [COMMAND] [PATH] ... [OPTION] ...

FileMaker Server 5.5

where COMMAND is one of the following:

START to start the Server

STOP to stop the Server

OPEN to open one or more databases

CLOSE to close one or more open databases

PAUSE to pause one or more open databases

RESUME to resume one or more open databases

FILES to list currently open database

RELOAD to reload configuration file

Valid Options:

-f, --force force immediate shutdown

-h, --help display this help and exit

-m, --message "text" sends the specified text to guests of database(s)

being closed

-c, --config-file PATH specify the file path to the configuration file

-s, --skip skip opening databases in ServerRoot directory and

one level down

-t, --grace-time NUM the number of minutes until guest(s) will be

disconnected

See I told you I was no Applescript pro... wink.gif" border="0

But the rest of this is Awesome, I mean yes it should be built-in, and working... but since this world isn't perfect a command line/cron hack is the next best thing!!

Let me know how it works out, our server gets here next week...

Next... Does anyone know the CLI commands to burn a CD or Data DVD?? smile.gif" border="0

So I wrote a shell script, (below) to pause copy and resume the databases. It seems to work fine. The entire script is dependant on the "CpMac" tool. It comes with the developer tools for 10.x. I tried using the reagular "cp" command to copy yhe files but the file types get lost. CpMac works great though. Keep in mid there is no error checking here. Is there any unix gurus out there who can add some error checking to this. I'm really rusty with shell scripting or I'd do it.

# sh

echo "------Local Backup Started------" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

date >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

echo "Pausing Databases" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

/Applications/FileMaker Server 5.5/FileMaker Server Config.app/Contents/Resources/fmserverd PAUSE

echo "Copying Databases to /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/Temp" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

/Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/CpMac -r /Applications/FileMaker Server 5.5/Database Files/ /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/Temp/

echo "Resuming Databases" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

/Applications/FileMaker Server 5.5/FileMaker Server Config.app/Contents/Resources/fmserverd RESUME

echo "------Local Backup Complete------" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

Thanks for the Shell Script!!!

That's a major blessing! Our server doesn't show up until tomorow or Wed, but I'm very excited to know that I've got an automated back-up solution from the get-to...

Any hiccups so far?

Are you .tgz 'ing the DB files in a cron job too?

I'm using Cronix. It a cool shareware util that puts a UI on Cron. As for the db files no I don't use tgz. I copy them to an AFP server that gets backed up every night to tape. I guess I could compress them but I never thought of it. Maybe I'll try it.

I working on a new version of the script that pauses each database and copies it, then resumes one at a time to minimize paused time. I have 30+ databases and some of them are large so the backup can take quite a while. Here's what I have so far...

#!/bin/sh

#usage: ./backup2.sh -[mne]

# get argument for the time of day

FOLDER="Empty"

flag=

for i

do

case $i in

-m) echo "Moring Backup" ; FOLDER="1_0710am" ;;

-n) echo "Noon" ; FOLDER="2_1210pm" ;;

-e) echo "Evening" ; FOLDER="3_0810pm" ;;

*) echo "Not a valid Option"; exit 2 ;;

esac

done

if test $FOLDER = "Empty"

then

echo "No Option was specified!"

exit 3

fi

# Start Log Header

echo "------Local Backup Started------" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

date >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

echo "Pausing Databases" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

# Pause All Databases

/Applications/FileMaker Server 5.5/FileMaker Server Config.app/Contents/Resources/fmserverd PAUSE

# Update log

echo "Copying Databases to /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/Temp" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

# Copy Databases to /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/Temp/

/Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/CpMac -r /Applications/FileMaker Server 5.5/Database Files/ /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/Temp/$FOLDER/

# Update log

echo "Resuming Databases" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

# Resume All Databases

/Applications/FileMaker Server 5.5/FileMaker Server Config.app/Contents/Resources/fmserverd RESUME

# Update log

echo "------Local Backup Complete------" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

# Start Remote Backup Log Header

echo "------Remote Backup Starting------" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

# What day is it?

DAYTEST=`date +'%a'`

if test "$DAYTEST" = "Mon" ;then

DAYDIR="1_Mon"

fi

if test "$DAYTEST" = "Tue" ;then

DAYDIR="2_Tue"

fi

if test "$DAYTEST" = "Wed" ;then

DAYDIR="3_Wed"

fi

if test "$DAYTEST" = "Thu" ;then

DAYDIR="4_Thu"

fi

if test "$DAYTEST" = "Fri" ;then

DAYDIR="5_Fri"

fi

# Is the AFP Server there?

if test ! -d /Volumes/Administration/FileMaker_Backups/$DAYDIR/$FOLDER;

then

# Update log

echo "######Remote Backup Failed!######" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

exit 4

fi

# Update log

echo "------Copying Databases to /Volumes/Administration/FileMaker_Backups/$DAYDIR/$FOLDER------" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

# Copy Databases to /Volumes/Administration/FileMaker_Backups

/Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/CpMac -r /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/Temp/$FOLDER /Volumes/Administration/FileMaker_Backups/$DAYDIR/

# Update log

echo "------Remote Backup Completed------" >> /Users/spragueg/FMP_Backup/backup.log

exit 0

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: spragueg ]

I'm using Cronix. It a cool shareware util that puts a UI on Cron. As for the db files no I don't use tgz. I copy them to an AFP server that gets backed up every night to tape. I guess I could compress them but I never thought of it.

I working on a new version of the script that pauses each database and copies it, then resumes one at a time to minimize paused time. I have 30+ databases and some of them are large so the backup can take quite a while.

This topic is 8247 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.