Server Maintenance This Week. ×

system serial number

This topic is 5222 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What's the serial number? You can get the NIC and IP addresses of the network cards with the get functions.

If you want some sort of OS environment variable you'll need to use OS-level scripting.

Let us know what exactly you're after and what OS this is.

For example, on a Mac, there are 2 ways I know of to get this via FileMaker's Perform AppleScript script step, running an AppleScript using shell scripting; either:

do shell script "ioreg -c 'IOPlatformExpertDevice' | awk '/IOPlatformSerialNumber/ {print $4}' | cut -b 2-12"

-- or

do shell script "system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep 'Serial Number'| cut -d ':' -f 2 | cut -c 2-"

[be aware however that machines which have had a motherboard replacement may or may not have a unique serial number. Apparently if Apple replaces the motherboard, they may not add the serial number unless you tell them to. At least that is my experience, and what I read is the procedure (may have changed; been a few years). I have a 20" iMac which just has "Serial Numb" or some such.]

I don't know know the Windows equivalent. Like to.

On Windows you can get it through the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation - sort of like Apple's System Profiler).

A VBscript would look like this:

On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & strComputer & "rootcimv2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_BaseBoard")

For Each objItem in colItems

Wscript.Echo "Serial Number: " & objItem.SerialNumber

Next

You can also invoke WMI from the command line by calling "wmic.exe" but I don't have that code ready. A google will help you out there.

John,

I know that you're using Dunnings' Easy Encrypt and wish to create a license key that locks the runtime to a workstation. Be aware that NIC address can return multiple values (more than one NIC per workstation). Also, they can change if the cards are changed.

Also, you'll need a business process to allow a legitimate user to transfer their runtime from one computer to another (they buy a new one, the old one crashes, etc.)

Locking to a workstation is a support-intensive approach.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 5222 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.