Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to know if an OnTimer script is running

This topic is 4784 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

Is there any way I can detect if a window is running an OnTimer script without manually controlling this in the relevant script?

I would like to be able to check if the automation is running as planned, either in the Data Viewer or within other scripts.

Cheers,

Andreas

Thanks for the suggestions, bcooney.

It is a sync script that runs a few times each hour, and sometimes there are no changes. Setting a timestamp will work, but will not actually tell me that the script is running at this moment, only that it ran on the last timestamp.

What I'm driving at, I guess, is some insurance that everything is ok at the time when I leave the database unattended. A status function that informed on the next scheduled exceution would be nice.

Cheers,

Andreas

• 1 year later...

What I'm driving at, I guess, is some insurance that everything is ok at the time when I leave the database unattended. A status function that informed on the next scheduled exceution would be nice.

Andreas, I agree, something like a tiny clock icon in the menu bar to let us know that the OnTimer is still counting down in the background. I made this solution to give me some visual feedback that the OnTimer is running, and how much time is left before it triggers again. It uses a Web Viewer with a customizable interval and color. See attached file: OnTimerProgressBar.zip

What we are missing is Get (OnTimerScripts) to return the Window name, script and interval.

Exactly. I imagined something like Get (OnTimerStatus) that would return a value list of all running OnTimer scripts with the information: Window name/script/interval/and seconds until next trigger.

Well, you could do one yourself by setting a $$variable when you install the OnTimer trigger. However, there are still some gotchas:

• There is no WindowID (at least not one you can get at), and Filemaker does not enforce unique window names;

• If you do a New Window[] from a window that has an OnTimer script, the new window has the same script installed, too. This, BTW, is something to watch for in general.

• There is no way I can see to store the triggered script's name other than as a string - so it will break if you rename the script.

This topic is 4784 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.