Change a file name?

This topic is 5216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Dave,

I understand what it is your asking, as I too was for a LONG time trying to manipulate the actual name of the file b4 it is uploaded to SC. I have long ago given up on this as it REALLY didn't matter what the name of the original file was.

The file name of the original document can be retrieved with the plugin - however i have found after a time if the file is exported (save field contents) it in my case was given a new name at that time - usually with a timestamp or version number.

So I just allowed the file to remain its original name, and the path is a just a internal ID that is assigned by the database.

HTH

Hi David - I concur with Stephen that it's important to realize that the name of the file is immaterial for storing/retrieving with SuperContainer, all that matters is the URL (which you control).

However, if you really want to change the actual file name, there is an optional parameter in the SCSetContainer function that can do that.

http://www.360works.com/plugins/SuperContainer/plugin-documentation.html#SCSetContainer

Edited by Guest

Thanks guys!

I know it doesn't really matter what the file name is when storing within SC, but the files I'm bringing into FileMaker and SC are scanned documents, which often have cryptic filenames.

I wanted to provide the users an option to name the file before it was stored in the system. That way, I don't have to deal with changing the name later, when the user wants to edit the file, or email it, or whatever.

Jesse, thanks for pointing out the parameter within SCSetContainer, where you can designate a new filename. This will work for me.

Cheers!

Dave

This topic is 5216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.