Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Moving thru cells with arrow keys

This topic is 5149 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The ability to move thru cells within a table using the arrow keys (like in a spreadsheet).

Sometimes I like to enter my data in table view mode and if I want to enter data vertically (one field (column), multiple records) I have to keep hitting TAB multiple times until it reaches the rightmost field and jumps to the next record. I find this very frustrating.

Thanks Comment. I downloaded Mr. Vodka's script and added it to my database before, but for some unknown reason only the up an down arrow keys work for me. I still can't navigate horizontally, as the right and left key don't seem to work. Don't know why.

Still, I wish Filemaker did include this navigation feature, as Paradox (my previous database) does. It would definitely make my life easier.

Thanks Comment. I downloaded Mr. Vodka's script and added it to my database before, but for some unknown reason only the up an down arrow keys work for me. I still can't navigate horizontally, as the right and left key don't seem to work. Don't know why.

Still, I wish Filemaker did include this navigation feature, as Paradox (my previous database) does. It would definitely make my life easier.

But FileMaker DOES have it; you just have to troubleshoot your script, which should take a minute or two. Since Mr. Vodka's file works and yours doesn't, post your script or your file. It's a level of script trigger understanding that you need to achieve regardless.

I'm not sure of this but maybe Mr. Vodka's script won't work on tables. The up and down navigation is ok as its uses script steps like "Go to previous/next record" which I guess works fine both in Form and Table view. Not so sure about the right/left navigation though as his script states "Go to previous/next object" which works fine in Form view but doesn't (at least for me) in Table view. Maybe Filemaker doesn't consider a table cell an object. I don't know. Scripts at this moment are just a little too complicated for me.

Edited by Guest

Then the script works. And if it doesn't, you should post your file so we don't have to guess when trying to help.

Edited by Guest

Sorry BruceR. My bad. The script works fine. I just opened it separetely and it works alright. I deleted it from my db. Imported it again just to make sure. Attached it to each object on my table again thru the "Set Script Triggers" dialog box (selected OnObjectKeystroke and included the additional parameter "Get(ActiveLayoutObjectName )" just like Mr. Vodka did), and still it only navigates vertically for me. I even made a little change to the script modifying the line "Set Variable [$lastobj;Value:7]" to "Set Variable [$lastobj;Value:21]" as my table has 21 fields and Mr. Vodka's only 7 (not sure if I should have done this), but it didn't solved my problem.

The script:

#Mr_Vodka Solutions 01/12/2009

#

# Sets variable with script parameter

Set Variable [ $p; Value:Get ( ScriptParameter ) ]

# Sets variable to capture trigger key

Set Variable [ $tk; Value:Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) ]

# Sets variable for maximum object name number

Set Variable [ $lastobj; Value:7 ]

#

# If up arrow is used then go to prev record

If [ $tk = 29 ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Previous ]

Exit Script [ Result: False ]

#

# If down arrow is used then go to next record

Else If [ $tk = 31 ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next ]

#

#

# If left arrow is used then go to prev object

Else If [ $tk = 28 ]

If [ $p - 1 ]

Go to Object [ Object Name: $p - 1 ]

# Checks to see if its the first object in record. If so goes to previous record's last object

Else

If [ Get ( RecordNumber ) ≠ 1 ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Previous ]

Go to Object [ Object Name: $lastobj ]

End If

End If

#

# If right arrow is used then go to next object

Else If [ $tk = 30 ]

If [ $p + 1 > $lastobj ]

# Checks to see if its the last object in record If so goes to next record's first object

If [ Get ( RecordNumber ) ≠ Get ( FoundCount ) ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next ]

Go to Object [ Object Name: 1 ]

End If

Else

Go to Object [ Object Name: $p + 1 ]

End If

#

#

End If

p.s.:) Can't attach my db here, it's too big.

Edited by Guest

Both Dana and Bruce has asked you to post your file. The sample file should work as is. Once again please post a cloned copy of your file.

Ok, Guys. The file can be downloaded from the following link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/367334823/BDF1.fp7.html

It's a Fomula One (still incomplete) DB and is in portuguese, my native language. Please go to the "Resutados" layout and go to table view and you'll se that the arrows only move up and down not right and left.

As I use photoshops as the backgrounds of my databases, I'm attaching them here so that you can read the data!

Thanks in advance.

Fundo_GPS.png

Fundo_Piloto.png

You are really making this too hard for people who are trying to help you. Now we have to sign up for an account? Just attach a clone here please. Or maybe once zipped, it won't even have to be cloned.

Edited by Guest

Argh. First of all, the file can be zipped and uploaded here easily.

Secondly, despite your claim to the contrary, you did NOT give object names to the fields. The script works properly as is. You MUST give your fields object names, using the numbering method described by Mr. Vodka.

See attached.

BDF1.fp7.zip

It's working now. I did had to use Filemaker's Help to find out how to add a name to an object though. I thought that the field name was the name of the object, that's why I answered you as I did before. I'm really grateful for you taking your time in solving my problem. Thank you very much BruceR. Also thanks to Mr. Vodka, Reed et al. for replying to this post. I'm a toddler in Filemaker compared to you guys!

This topic is 5149 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.