Barcode Readers

This topic is 4344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Has anyone got any real-world experience of hardware barcode readers that work with iPhone FileMaker Go?

The only hardware reader I have seen available iPhone is the Socket Mobile 7X device Anybody using this with FMGo?

Is the EasyPay hardware Apple was rolling out for internal use in stores stores likely to be availailable for reading barcodes with FMGo?

Thanks,

ft.

The only barcode scanners which will work presently, are ones capable of simulating a bluetooth keyboard (HID mode). Thus, older Socket bluetooth scanners (5M, 5P, 7M, 7P, etc) will not work, whereas newer models such as 7X will work. There are other vendors that offer iPad/iTouch scanners, such as serialIO's scanfob ($300). One advantage of the HID devices is they don't need special software, but you may have issues activating both onscreen keyboard and bluetooth 'keyboard' (scanner) simultaneously, which may make data entry awkward if you must switch between the two frequently. Since the scanners will act like a bluetooth keyboard, scanned barcodes will insert at the cursor. I've used the precursor to the 7X (model 7P) and have been satisfied with it for scanning to Windows Mobile and XP; Socket makes good, reliable scanners, albeit at ~$460.00 new for a 7X, they are expensive.

Are you sure? Didn't the camera connection kit also support plugging in a USB keyboard? A USB barcodes reader shows up as a keyboard in most cases, so it just might work!

The camera kit that I bought for the iPad has a USB connection. Don't know if it works in the iPhone, as I have not tried it. However, all of the other connections for the iPad work in the iPhone.

HTH

Lee

Yes, the camera connection kit for iPad should work because it supports some USB keyboards; so if the scanner is a HID device it ought to work (i.e. if it works on a desktop PC or Mac without drivers and simulates a keyboard).

In the case of iPhone, the USB adapter doesn't support HID keyboards (though this may have changed under OS 4.0?), so a scanner won't work without custom software. Also, a wired solution will be rather bulky in either case, particularly if you need to move frequently with the scanner, e.g. taking inventory vs checking items out.

It's unfortunate Apple hasn't released for general sale, the POS device with integral scanner that the OP referred to.

Also, I was incorrect about BT scanners; these were NOT supported on iPhone prior to OS 4.0 without jailbreaking; however, Apple OS 4.0 adds wireless keyboard support. Thus, if the wireless scanner supports HID mode, it ought to work.

Hi Guys. I had the camera connection kit on the iPad, but the laser bar code reader gun (worthington model)...hooked through the USB was drawing too much power, so iOS gave me a low power dialog and killed the usb connection. I just received the scanfob 2002 (bluetooth)...but the one I got is defective, so I have to sort that out before I can report.

- Richard

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I would like to restart this thread again and see if somebody has had the opportunity to work with a barcode reader and an iPhone.

I would like to connect from iPhone (at least two free Apss do use the camera and capture seamslessly the classic EAN barcode), well even iPodTouch. The aim is consult remote database and the search step should be only to scan the Bcode in the supermarket.

The case is that the database serves in FMS9 (no problem for upgrading) and I need to know if somebody has attemp such an issue.

Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

All of the Socket CHS v3 (latest version) scanners support HID mode for iOS, but if you want to have iOS on-screen keyboard support, you need the latest firmware. Here's a video that shows the on-screen keyboard support on an iPad

• 4 months later...

I am OP and researched this over last year.

The best I have found for me so far is the bluetooth KDC200 from www.zerobluetech.com

It's early days, but I like it because...

1. In HID mode it will pair with iPhone and iPad without any drivers or software required.

2. It has an on-board menu system... if something goes wrong you can fix it without needing a sheet of barcodes. This is important for me since I have very remote users who do not need/want to carry a barcode programming sheet.

3. It has a keyboard-toggle button to bring up the keyboard on the ios device as required without having to break the connection.

4. It works well with FM Pro, although the extra SerialMagic software/drivers are required at additional cost.

zeroblue are big FileMaker supporters. They had a booth at DevCon 2011, and won a PR award from FileMaker.

You should consider their products/services if you are barcoding with FM.

hth,

ft.

(no affiliation to zeroblue beyond customer).

• 9 months later...

Thank you for the kind words, Mr. Fishtech!

We sell barcode scanners that work with FileMaker out of the box. We're FileMaker developers ourselves, who wanted to make the procedure easier.

We have a growing selection of barcode scanners for Desktop computers and iPhones/iPads. All Bluetooth scanners will work with iOS devices. We also have some USB scanners for desktop use. Several scanners can collect batch data (support scanning for a day, then go back to the office and download the data).

Please visit our website: store.zerobluetech.com to search and compare products.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

We will also be at Devcon 2012 and will bring products with us. Follow us on twitter.

This topic is 4344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.