Server Maintenance This Week. ×

dynamic ok boxes in dialogs

This topic is 3598 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i find it odd that only some elements of dialog boxes can be filled with expressions, i.e. the window title and the box itself, but the buttons you click on are always hard coded.

this makes, for example, an efficient localization impossible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ScriptMaster can do this, but the problem is it's a plugin. Which adds a layer of management to an existing system.

I've already posted a in this forum a wish for calculated text for the buttons.

Well I'm not trying to sound contrary but I couldn't really see a use. You have very limited button size and only three choices and only the default selection allows data change. Custom Dialogs are simple If/Else constructs really. There isn't room for button to display "Go to Record 3627" or "Cancel Order 34". That would be handled in the dialog above. What would you want a button to say other than OK, Continue, Cancel, Yes, No etc?

I won't mind at all if you expand my mind with possibilities but currently I can't really think of any. :wink2:

I'd like to be able to provide language customization (or "localization" to use the original poster's term).

While it is true that "OK" is understood by most people around the world or is simple enough to learn, I rarely put "OK" or "Yes", "No" as my button words. I always prefer to put a verb on the button, e.g. "Save", "Import", "Erase" to avoid confusion.

I'd like the ability to centralize the words in the interface in a table (or a repeating global or something) that can make it easy for me to adapt to the different language needs of my customers.

Edited by Guest

I've never dealt with other languages. I would have thought that "Export" on a button would display in the language of the FM version used ... learn something new every day. :wink2:

I would have thought that "Export" on a button would display in the language of the FM version used

The words provided by FileMaker on the built-in dialogs and menus should change with language (I haven't tested this), but we are hoping for more flexibility in the Show Custom Dialog[] script step where we get to specify the words on the dialog buttons.

FileMaker would have no idea how to translate the word I provide. If it did, that would be pretty cool, but not reliable since you can't translate a single written word without context since the same written word can have multiple definitions.

• 3 years later...

Yes.

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/fmphelp_13/en/html/scripts_ref2.37.60.html#1068697

"To create a button label based on a calculation, click Specify and then specify the calculation."

Also: it is possible to open a new window as a dialog. So you can create your own completely customized dialog.

• Like 1

Excellent - thank you!

I just saw that the sysreqs have changed. Snow Leopard is no longer 'officially' supported. I suppose I could have another partition with a newer system for developing, but I wonder if anyone has been able to run FM13 on 10.6.x.

Thanks,

Stefan

This topic is 3598 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.