Saved Password (Keychain)

This topic is 4967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Me thinks we're talking about the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, not a desktop Mac. None of those devices have this "key chain" capability right?

So far as I can tell, there is no way to store the login credentials on FMGo. You have to enter them every time you use the application. For the life of me, I can't think of another mobile application that acts this way. Not a single one.

If you have a long username and a strong password using special characters and capitalization, logging into FMGo can be a slog. I think FMI is going to have to fix this if they want to play in the enterprise market.

Yep. I assume FMI is working on this because it is a really cumbersome barrier to an otherwise nice tool.

That said, since there are very few complaints here it makes me think that most FMGo users have simple usernames and passwords. It's pretty easy to type 'a' for the username and 'a' for the password but does that offer real security?

In real life our usernames and passwords are more like this:

Username: EnglebertHumperdink

Password: +h!$!$myPa$$w0rd

And that's not easy to type on a mobile device.

Yep, but apparently most every other mobile application has chosen convenience over security. As I said earlier, I can't think of any other mobile application that requires the holder to provide a username and password every time the application is used.

Perhaps the best solution would be to let the user or the Filemaker Administrator determine whether storing credentials on the device is allowed. That way Filemaker's customers could determine whether added convenience is worth the reduced security.

I'm just surprised there aren't more people complaining about this.

Most probably the challenge is that the hooks to provide the "keychain" functionality don't exist in iOS.

It's interesting that some people want the keychain functionality to remember passwords while others are concerned that the "resume" feature is a security breach and they want FM Go to authenticate again.

It's sure tough keeping everybody happy. :

Most probably the challenge is that the hooks to provide the "keychain" functionality don't exist in iOS.

I have an iPod Touch and I can get into my gmail without having to constantly enter my credentials. Somehow the iOS is retaining the gmail username and password. Personally, I think it would be nice if FMGo mimicked this behavior. Exactly how it gets done, I don't really care about too much.

The I&AM process in FM GO has changed with the release of Version 1.1.1. It now correctly requires users to re-enter credentials after awaking from hibernation.

This is not the same as remembering credentials in the KeyChain on Macintosh OS X. However FM GO doesn't have that property, nor is it likely to acquire it.

I posted the link to the new tech Info describing the revised behavior so that those in this thread would be aware of it as it affects their interpretation of how the product behaves regarding credentials.

Steven

I have a user with an uppercase username containing at least 9 characters and a longer mixed case password. I am using a Separation Model solution for FM Go requiring my user to enter his username and password twice every time he uses his phone or email.

FM had BETTER come up with a solution as the current strategy is making using FM Go overly cumbersome to say the least. I am not storing state secrets, let my users stay logged in!

Peter

This topic is 4967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.