Server Maintenance This Week. ×

fm6 conversion to FM11

This topic is 4917 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I finally decided to update an old FP5 application to FM11. This application consists of 45 files (some interface files, rest data files).

I have got most conversion bugs ironed out and the application works fine in FM11 except for start up. In FM6 it took about 1 minute to open the application (opening all files, transferring user ID). Now it takes about 3 minutes.

I realize I am not using an ideal design by having 45 tables in 45 files. However, rewriting the application was not an option.

I have used MetaDataMagic to clean up file references before conversion and also checked and cleaned up any remaining issues with file references.

I use a startup script. The main delay is caused by transferring the user ID to all files (2 minutes). I use a set field script step to set a global ID field in every file with the UserID. So there seems to be some sort of delay the first time a file is accessed. I can wait with transferring an ID until that part of the application is being used. However this creates a delay when the user wants to do something for the first time(i.e. create an invoice). There is no delay when a file is accessed subsequently.

Do you know what is causing this delay. Is Filemaker checking relationships and is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Joost Kingma

Hi Joost. You've missed 6 updates to Filemaker, but better late than never! In my opinion your script must be doing something funky because it should not take so long for files to open. Since you're running FMPro Advanced you should use the debugger to go through the script, one step at a time, and find out where the hang up is.

It is a big step to migrate from v.5 to v.11. In my view, the time you put in to the migration process will pay off in the long run. For one thing, if you can avoid having 45 separate files you should do so. Some features will not work as well and it will be much harder to maintain. As you know the new paradigm is to have multiple data tables in one file. To set this up you can copy and paste layouts, scripts, etc. from your converted files into a new consolidated database. The tedious part is to make sure the fields and relationships aren't broken.

I'm not sure if you are using the username/password security system built in to FM 11. If not, you might be much better off doing so. However, 45 separate databases will be a nightmare if you need to maintain usernames and passwords on each one. Nonetheless, when FM Pro opens a record in a related table in a second file it shares the user name and password to access the data. Thus you shouldn't need to run a script to manage user names across all the files.

Hi mfero,

I did some more testing and found out it is related to the initial opening. In each of the files I have a global field that holds the userID. At startup I transfer the userID from the login file to each file with a set field step. This scripts takes about 2:30 to execute. However, when I run this script after opening it executes almost immediately.

I guess the question is what does Filemaker (have to) do when it initially accesses a file?

I use the FM security at a group level (admin/user/webuser). Actual users fall into the group user. Their access is managed at a record level in the user table.

• 1 month later...

I did some more testing and found out that the opening time of a file is related to the amount of TO's in the file. I guess FM somehow checks the TO's when a file is initially opened.

I have decided now to skip my opening script and delay the opening of the different files to the moment a user opens a module. The drawback of this approach is that a user experiences a delay when he/she opens a module for the first time.

However I think this is better then having to 3-4 minutes until the application has started.

This topic is 4917 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.