Adding variable to URL

This topic is 4975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to use the Site Assistant to create a site that allows a user to edit a record. I'd like to have it work in such a way as to have the user receive an email with a link. When they press the link it goes directly to a specific record in FileMaker where they can make edits and then save. It seems the only way to do this is to embed the record number (primary key) into the URL that is passed in the email. Is this even possible?

Thanks!

Scott

I just posted something that might help you out:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/367469/

What I'm working on is a basic email subscription page where newsletter recipients would click on the link in their email and it would bring them to their contact record (pulled right from FileMaker via PHP) and they can toggle their subscription settings.

You're right about the '-recid' appearing to be the only way the Site Assistant relies on. Honestly, that's OK by me since we can pull that value in FileMaker using the Get(RecordID) function.

MY main concern is that if that's the ONLY way to find a record, it's open to abuse. Someone could easily change the -recid value to any number, starting at 1, to load page after page of record data.

I have another PHP based solution that pulls dog training classes from our FileMaker Server:

http://66.173.8.234/fmphp/events.php?new_find=Yes&event_category=Puppy%20Kindergarten&item_id=NULL&-skip=0&-max=100

I can pull the source code for you if you wish.

Thanks so much for the read and reply. Yes, if you don't mind I'd like to see the source code.

It's funny, all I want to do is have a user click a link, have it go to a specific record and allow them to edit, then submit the record.

Jonathan Stark's book on FileMaker and PHP is great, but trying to modify a site assistant-generated page has been unusually arduous. Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult.

Thanks again....

Scott

I posted the source code in my other thread here and here.

I severely stripped down a lot of unnecessary assistant generated code (mostly CSS stuff) and modified the edit page so that the ONLY thing that is modifiable is the checkbox. If you go back and recreate an entire new create/edit/delete site through the assistant, you should be able to find the code that presents regular text fields for editing and the like.

And if you happen to figure out how to update a timestamp field when the user hits the Save button, let me know. :

This topic is 4975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.